Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

my passion/ my headache

Posted by turboman 
my passion/ my headache
December 28, 2001 01:37PM
ok guys, now i feel like an insecure child that at one time knew everything, only to realize I'm drowning in a sea of misery without my security blanket. When I decided to pursue detailing as a "fun" hobby and maybe make a little cash I though my wash bucket and bottle of turtle wax would do the trick. Now I come here with the real men of the industry, now my world is out of control. I appreciate all the help, I really do, but I can honestly say my head is killing me. My latest beef is about waxes. I visited the waxtest.com as suggested here by someone. My search engine brought me to a forum about discussions on waxes. They were talking about this stuff called Zaino. I never heard of it, so I visited their web page. z-1 z-2 z-3 z-4 and on and on...more z's and numbers than in I've ever seen. anyway they say that after you put this layer on, let it dry. then put the next on, let it dry. (now were are talking 2 days to do a car.! I thought 4 hours was a long time. then after all these steps, you have the ultimate finish. then they say it isn't a wax either? well if if isn't wax what the hell is it? doesn't only wax offer the protection you need? they claim it's a polish.....can't someone tell me their is an easier way? I have to re do that BMW 740i today...I was not satisfied with the result of the polymer I used. I don't have time to order the ps21, nor do I have 3 days to use the car for Ziano, I have auto care products, carnuba wax, and access to walmart if I need to.......someone send me a life line...PLEASE...

Re: my passion/ my headache
December 28, 2001 08:26PM
the zaino is considered a "synthetic". zaino is a sysytem and many detailers can't afford to wait the extended amounts of time it takes for the products to set up(zaino just released a product to help the layers cure/set up faster) but that is a specialty product and not like most that you will come across in wal-mart,auto parts stores etc. the synthetics/polymer sealants last longer than a typical wax. many argue that the sealants don't give the depth of shine the wax does. the other half argue that the wax doesn't last long enough or provide extended protection from the elements. so many perfectionist use both or thier own favorite wax or sealant. on the bmw, try just a plain jane cleaner wax or any of the meguiars/mothers stuff. . dont forget your quick detailer spray! also if you use a pre-cleaner step, you will have better results.
December 29, 2001 06:00AM
Turboman

I suggest that the KISS principle to begin with will apply quite well here. Keep it simple and determin what your expectations are and then find out what works for you in terms of products and the time you can afford to spend to do the work.

Also keep in mind that quality of product and your selection of a suitable system and the refinement of a product application system will also directly relate to the end result.

Those on this board will give your the straight goods on the products so you wont drown in the sea of controversy over each and every product. That way you will be able to sort out the snake oil without haveing to spend a bazillion bucks.

Last remember if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

In fairly short order you should be able to establish a time and products effective system the will work just right for you and you can modify as you like from there.

good luck
Dan
December 30, 2001 05:17AM
In agreement with Jackimoe,I would stay away from the zaino unless your going to use them on your own car. It takes way to long for comercial use. For comercial use I highly recomend Klasse all in one. Lasts and shines for a long time and also cleans. If your having a problem removing your wax on the BMW try using a microfiber towel for the final wiping, you can get cheap ones that will work at Autozone or Pep boys. Good luck with your new line of work!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login