Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Collionite 845 Insulator wax

Re: sealant on mufflers
November 24, 2004 02:38AM
<HTML>Who are you responding to: Me or Ron Ketcham? Don't see the point of your reply?

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
November 30, 2004 12:31AM
<HTML>As a painter by trade, a salt test is a test used for paint, not wax.
I believe the intentions were good, just the procedure was flawed in that wax and or sealants are for paint, not bare metal.

Case in point-
When painting, you will have bonding issues if the surface is not prepared correctly(ex. primer, sealers, etc.)
Applying paint to bare metal to test for durability would not be the correct procedure according to the manufacturers directions for use.
Even a salt test using paint would be flawed if the manufacturers application recommendations are not followed completely.
All the above mentioned products are for applying to paint for protection, not for protecting bare metal..., that is what the primer and paint is developed for.

IMO, testing in areas that the said products are not intended for is novel, however, IMO, not usefull in a "real" test of durability (or other variables, as that is not what said products are intended for).

Just another point of view on the subjectsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
November 30, 2004 04:10AM
<HTML>Wayne,

What are your thoughts on this specialty product from POR 15? This sounds like it could do the job needed on bare metal:

[www.por15.com];
November 30, 2004 08:57AM
<HTML>Hi Bill,
I checked out the link.
I have not tried that product, so I can not comment on it.
It looks interesting and I bookmarked it for future reference ( I will have to try it out when I have a chancesmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
November 30, 2004 03:05PM
<HTML>Im guessing of course, but I think that Buds test on bare metal simply means that a wax or sealant that can keep bare metal from rusting is better than a wax or sealant that cant. Some did and some didnt, in Buds point of view the ones that did are better. Keep in mind that the old Simonize Paste wax of years ago would not keep 1950s chrome from rusting. We all know that no wax or sealant will prevent rust, but some out their may slow it down a bit.</HTML>
December 02, 2004 04:54AM
<HTML>Wayne:

I too have some experience with paint having worked with Akzo-Sikkens for several years in the development of our PAINT PLUS Paint Touchup System.

Comparing what paints do and don't do has no bearing on what waxes, polishes and sealants can or should do.

Saying that waxes and sealants stick to paint and not to metal is just a weak cop out. Saying that paint has a charge on it and bare metal has no charge, and that products are made to stick to a charged surface is inaccurate.

The test we had done did not require "scrubbing" or any mechanical stresses on the waxed bare metal panel after the wax/sealant was applied. The testers were only spraying on salt water.

If a product cannot adhere well enough on bare metal to withstand a spritzing of water it has little chance of adhering to anything vs water.

It was a very simple test, included in a bank of tests, that, all put together to get a combined score for performance.

It a product only fails this test does not mean it is a poor product. However, if another product passes all of the same tests, and this test, which one should you choose? After all......there is bare metal exposed on many surfaces of a vehicle via stone chips, etc.

Hope that answers your commentary.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
www.detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
December 05, 2004 01:12AM
<HTML>Bravo,bravo bravo...this site is getting interesting again for us hands on 500 full details a year folks !!!Yes business has slowed a little since we added window tinting$$$</HTML>
December 17, 2004 02:57AM
<HTML>For the 2005 boat detailing season, I plan to have Collinite as my main arsenal of protectants. I spoke with many boat detailers around the country and they either use Collinite or 3M. Too bad Dolphinite went out of business.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
December 17, 2004 05:05AM
<HTML>Brian:

For your information #845 Collinite did not fair all that well in the Comparative Study of Paint Sealants and Waxes. If was 8th out of 25 in the increase in gloss with a 27.4% increase compared with the number one product Klasse with a 32.8% increase in gloss. But gloss is not all that important with boats as it is with cars.

However, the decrease in gloss/shine after 12 washings is significant to note. #845 Collinite was 25th out of 25 products with a 7.14% decrease in gloss. This is compared with the 24th product which had a 4.92% decrease. Compared with the number 1 product that had a 5.16% increase in gloss.

In resistence to salt water corrosion it faired better being in the #3 catagory which was described as FAIR, some rust.

Not sure what you are basing your decision for using this product on: shine, durability or corrosion resistence?

And, of course, are we talking about the same Collinite>

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
December 17, 2004 10:08PM
<HTML>Exactly. My concern when it comes to caring for a customer's boat is not only shine but upholding that shine for as long as possible -- resisting black streak stains, etc. Collinite makes over 7 boat care products (ranging from straight gel coat oxidation remover to pure protection.) If Insulator Wax was the one tested on your study, then that's why it came in a lower ranking for gloss -- it was actually formulated to protect industrial power lines.

There is only one Collinite from what I can recall. There is Dolphinite, but they went out of business due to a major lawsuit regarding their bottom paint. A lot of people get these two companies confused.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login