Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Standardized Testing for Sealants & Waxes

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Standardized Testing for Sealants & Waxes
May 21, 2005 01:54AM
<HTML>My question is still not answered Yet!

Why can't, or won't the perveyors of the fine finish protectants get together and start thinking out of the box?

Petrochemical Industry did several years ago, when they worked behind closed doors with the Feds to remove "Tetraethyl Lead from our gasolines.

We also did it again in the early 90's in getting a standard for the asphalts.

What we eleminated, was the Mom and Pop operations everywhere.

This could also be done here as well. You guys did it to lower the "VOC" for some of the problem chemicals, that we use in the detailing industry.

Like I said, it won't be done unless supreme intervention comes forth, and Federally mandates the standards.

I have seen the labs dwindle in manpower, as the new state of the art equipment, thats been developed to standardize the industry,thus eleminating about 75-80% of the man power, that we used through the early 90's in our laboratory's.

No, I don't want to see jobs lost, but this was what was done to standardize the industry,and eleminate the compitition, or as you guys call it the "Bath Tub Blenders".

Hell the "GC" machines were developed to find out what was really in the cigarette smoke, then we started using them religiously in the refinery labs to find out how much Benzene was in our gasolines, kerosenes, diesel fuels,as well as many other harmful aromatic solvents, and on,and on.

I don't expect for Ron, Bud, Renny, Bill, Jim, or any of the rest to have the answers, as standardization will have to be pushed by the consumers, or the Feds, it sure as hell won't be us little guys testing how tight a bead of water gets, when a car is sealed or waxed with,this ,that or the other!

Just think guys, you producers would be like the Oil Company's, gobble up the little guys, and then there would only be a hand full of producers, to share the spoils. You know kinda like at the Gaso pumps!.....Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Standardized Testing for Sealants &amp; Waxes
May 21, 2005 02:55AM
<HTML>Brandy, there already standard tests for waxes and sealants, for things such as flash points, oil content, melting point . This is where a lot of the information on the MSDS sheet comes from .

There are also tests for corrosion etc all from ASTM.

Intrestingly enough, after browsing the ASTM web site there is a regualtion for , and I am not making this up...

"D3905-93 Standard Specification for Toilet Tissue for Industrial and Institutional Use " ..

which has an intresting disclaimer attached to it that reads .." the user shall establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use."

Anyway , to get back on topic.

Being as I work ( or did until recently ) for a dealership, I tend to lean towards the testing carried out by them and to use products that I know have been tested and certified for use by them . Not just for appearance reasons, but also for safety reasons, such as toxicity, carcinogens and all that lovely stuff. OEM's have a huge leagal liability as they sell these products to consumers , and have to make sure they are safe.

Secondly, they have to stand behind the product, particuarly if they are providing a warranty for it. In this world of sue happy people and attornies, they take this kind of thing very seriously . You can bet that if an OEM has tested a product , it works .

Over the next few years, a paint films continue to evolve , you might find that you can only use certain approved chemicals on certain films in order to keep the warranty in effect.

Jim .</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login