Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wet undercoat again!

Posted by Stephen Britz 
Wet undercoat again!
August 10, 2005 12:55PM
<HTML>Yesterday I as asked to inspect a customers 2004 camry that was undercoated during the first week of June. Maybe one of you have seen this issue. During inspection I noticed that only on the underbody where there is seam sealer applied at the factory, the undercoating is not drying. All other surfaces of the underbody are dried or close to it (slightly tacky). This is now the third vehicle brought to our attention. Do you think there could be a chemical reaction taking place between the seam sealer and the undercoating that is keeping it from drying?</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Re: Wet undercoat again!
August 10, 2005 04:51PM
<HTML>Stephen.

Ron Ketchum was telling me something about this sometime ago I recall, hopefully he may reply here or give him a call, the number is in the autoint.com web site.

Jim.</HTML>
August 11, 2005 05:08AM
<HTML>Yea, I was hoping he might chime in on this one. Thanks Jim.</HTML>

August 15, 2005 01:36PM
<HTML>It is the "sealer" that Toyota is using on some models undercarriage.

Don't have an answer for you, but one of our shop swears that if they spray over the sealer with a cheap aerosol black paint, let it dry, then the undercoat will adhere and dry in most cases.

The Scion, wheel wells are another problem, to date haven't found a way to get good adherence of the undercoat to them.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
August 15, 2005 05:43PM
<HTML>Thanks Ketch

I will try that and see what happens. I would like to be able to prove that it is indeed the sealer to our Service Director, then maybe we can get some attention on this issue.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login