Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Katrina/TPD detailers, help!

Posted by Ron Ketcham 
Katrina/TPD detailers, help!
September 12, 2005 02:39PM
<HTML>We at Automotive International have been attempting, unsuccessfully to contact two of our Trusted Professional Detailers who were victums of the Katrina disaster.

Gary Giffin, Tammany Parish and David Orth, Metarie, La.

If they and their families made it through, we have decided to help them restart their businesses.

Automotive International will donate $300.00 in ValuGard products to each, and pay the frieght to them.

If any of you have an extra buffer, wet vac, etc that could help them restart their business and get back on their feet, now is the time to come and help.

We need to stick together, as a detailing community and help our fellow detailers.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Re: Katrina/TPD detailers, help!
September 13, 2005 01:26AM
<HTML>Ron:

I was just thinking of Gary the other day.

The phone numbers I have for Gary are from 2001.
If you want them I can email them to you.

That is a great thing you guys are doing for them..</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
September 13, 2005 12:10PM
<HTML>The phone numbers and addresses for both are under the Find A Detailer section at www.autoint.com.

But, no responses have come back.

Ketch</HTML>

September 14, 2005 12:52AM
<HTML>Ron:

Let me check the number I have against the Find A Detailer numbers.
If they are not the same I wil email them to you for your records.</HTML>

September 14, 2005 03:13AM
<HTML>I am far, all the way in cali. It will eat allot of $$$$$$ to ship anything.

Ron, When you get in contact with'em let me know. I am in for $50 to each detailer hit by Katrina that needs it.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
September 14, 2005 07:04AM
<HTML>It would be difficult for you guys to help the detailers in Mumbai which also was hit not by Katrina but a cloud burst. Any advice on restoring leather and interior fabric/carpets which were submerged for over a week would help. Problems are mainly smell, dark mildew spots on leather and very dirty fabric/carpets.</HTML>
September 14, 2005 12:24PM
<HTML>Take them out, clean with an all purpose, with at least of 4 to 6 oz of Odor Terminator added to each quart of all purpose, allow to dry, then mist both sides of the carpet with O.T.

The leather clean and use a good conditioner, hoping that it will penetrate and soften.

The all purpose is used to clean the leather as well, the OT and the all purpose will kill off the mold, and other bacteria.

You should also spray a wax based rust inhibitor into all doors and cavatities to displace moisture and stop future corrossion.

The electrics in the doors, seat motors, etc should also be sprayed with this product, most of the time they will start working again.

Went through this sort of thing with a large client in Texas a few years back that was cleaning flood cars.

Use the OT on every surface and crevise you can mist it into to, there is a lot of bacteria growing in the cars, the OT stops their feeding and they die, the smell is gone.

Ketch</HTML>

September 14, 2005 12:25PM
<HTML>Paul ,
The only numbers, etc we have on on the site.

ketch</HTML>

September 14, 2005 02:10PM
<HTML>Ron:

Will be happy to be of assistance when you get in touch with them.
I have also asked many of my suppliers to donate some products towards this effort.</HTML>
September 14, 2005 04:37PM
<HTML>Thanks, Gina.

If we ever hear from them, am sure they will be appreciative of your and others help in their time of need.

I'll let you know.

Ketch</HTML>

September 16, 2005 06:44AM
<HTML>Ron,

We could clean the fabric/carpet as per your advice but the leather was a problem. We used APC 1:8 but it could not remove the mildew black spots. We even tried the Leather Cleaner of Zymol but the black spots remained.
Any advice from your end or other persons on this forum would be highly appreciated.</HTML>
September 16, 2005 12:55PM
<HTML>Sometimes you can't do miracles, replace the leather.

Ketch</HTML>

September 16, 2005 02:04PM
<HTML>It is possible to do miracles!

if you have the ability to recolor or redye the leather you can completely camoflauge the discoloration caused by the mold,

What has happened is Mold uses enzymes to digest nutrients from organic materials the mold has gorwn on top of the leather and also down into the leather leaving circular or black spots in an irregular pattern</HTML>
September 16, 2005 02:17PM
<HTML>Ron Ketcham , concoursgarage:

You two are a real asset to any forum.

Please keep it up.</HTML>

September 16, 2005 02:29PM
<HTML>Thank you... a great part of my business is water damage remediation and odor removal</HTML>
September 19, 2005 07:56AM
<HTML>How do you dye the beige color leather having blact spots? I do not know if the sprays or dyes are available in India but we would like replacing the leather as our last resort. Do you know any website of the guys offering these sprays for leather? Replacing the leather cost $ 500 and any cheaper solution would please the customer.

Thanks for the input.</HTML>
September 19, 2005 05:03PM
<HTML>It is possible to dye over the black spots. One would need to prepare the surface well by cleaning and sanding to smooth and diminish the appearance of the spots or damage caused by the mold.

Dyes come either solvent or water based, here in the U.S. most of the solvent base dyes are being phased out

There are several ways to acquire leather systems

One can purchase either a leather repair system with all the primary colors and learn to repair leather and mix colors by eye to dye.

Or one can purchase all the dyes and use a hand held computer to formulate the code. In other words the hand held computer will scan the leather and come up with the closest formula to mix the color (expensive around $12,000)

One can purchase pre-mixed dyes for the different manufacturers colors and just mix and shoot the dye. The problem with this is if the color is slightly off and you do not know how to adjust the color you might have appearance problems.

I am not sure the leather in your vehicles are local or are these leathers imported vehicles.

Anyway the following is a list of leather manufacturers in India and dye suppliers. You may be able to purchase the dyes right there in India

[www.indianindustry.com]

[trade.indiamart.com]

[www.mapsofindia.com]

[indiafocus.indiainfo.com];
September 21, 2005 10:53PM
<HTML>Ron, David is doing ok, got some messages from him over at Mobileworks a couple of weeks ago, will give you a call soon, just got back today.

Jim.</HTML>
September 22, 2005 12:33AM
<HTML>Hey, so you are back, how's the liver and kidney's?

LOL!

Glad to hear he made it through , a lot of people are looking to help him out if he needs it.

Ketch</HTML>

September 22, 2005 02:20AM
<HTML>Got back this afternoon, most body parts are aching right now !

Jim.</HTML>
September 22, 2005 02:31PM
<HTML>I just remembered , I do have a spare buffer in the garage too if they get in touch and need one .

Jim.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login