Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

REMOVING PAINT W/ EZ-OFF

Posted by Bud Abraham 
REMOVING PAINT W/ EZ-OFF
January 10, 2006 08:09AM
<HTML>How many of you detailers have ever heard of removing paint from a van, truck or car with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner?

Let me hear what you have to say about this process.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: REMOVING PAINT W/ EZ-OFF
January 11, 2006 04:40AM
<HTML>You gotta be kidding.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
January 11, 2006 06:10AM
<HTML>Steve:

Not at all, ask around with detailers and body shops you know, I think you will be surprised how many people are using this product to remove paint over paint.

Interested to know if any detailers out in Phorumland are using this procedure.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 11, 2006 02:02PM
<HTML>In my meeting with the two main paint engineers for DaimlerChrysler yesterday, I mentioned this method to them.

It took them a few minutes to get back in their chairs and wipe the shock from their faces.

Their answer, "are these people nuts?"

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
January 11, 2006 02:17PM
<HTML>Ron:

We all know the answer to that question. You did tell them didn't you?

I am surprised that an old timer like you was not aware of this practice?

Come on, admit it.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 11, 2006 02:21PM
<HTML>I have known of it for a decade or two.

That doesn't mean I agree with it.

"If you can't put a product on your skin, don't put it on the paint.", has been our guide post for years.

Ketch</HTML>

January 12, 2006 02:14AM
<HTML>Ron:

I knew that you knew that. I do not agree with it either, but I wanted to know if any detailers were using this process.

I was really shocked to find a well respected body shop in Portland uses this process when necessary.

What I really wanted to know is if anyone knows why Easy-Off Oven Cleaner takes off the paint.

What is your take on why it works?

Buda</HTML>

buda
January 12, 2006 02:48AM
<HTML>Because it so "caustic', because it attacks the paint that is on the paint, to the point that it weakens or damages the resin system of the vehicles paint system.

Some times, some get lucky, most feel it is successful as they never see the vehicle again in it's life time, or "just get lucky".

I don't deal with "one off, I was successful" sort of things, I deal with the processes that do not cause "warranty" long term concerns by doing something that is fast and looks easy.

Didn't build up our reputation with the vehicle manufacturers, as you are aware, by "fast and easy, the hell with the damage down the road" approach.

It is really simple, ask these "people" to try and hold any "oven" cleaner in the hands for more than 3 or 4 minutes.

What damage happens to the skin tissue?

Does their hand get very "hot"?

That is caustic reactivity, and that heat is the first indicator of damage to the resin system of the paint, as it is the damage that is taking place to their skin tissue.

If they are not careful, or hold on too long, they will experince tissue damage, just as the paint will exhibit resin damage.

No big deal, let's go at things cheap and easy, and the hell with the refinish cost of that panel, etc, even though it may cost anywhere from $300 to $1,000.

Ketch</HTML>

January 12, 2006 04:49AM
<HTML>Ron:

If it takes off the painted sign, etc. why does it not effect the paint of the car?

Our chemists indicated that it was actually not anything in Easy-OFF that removes the paint but, in their opinion, it was the propellant in the aero-sol can that sprays the Easy Off on the car.

Thanks

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 12, 2006 11:10PM
<HTML>Ask your chemist.

She can surely explain it to you.

ketch</HTML>

January 13, 2006 04:58AM
<HTML>I will ask "him."

Bud A</HTML>

buda
January 13, 2006 04:58AM
<HTML>I will ask "him."

Bud A</HTML>

buda
January 15, 2006 08:25PM
<HTML>When I first got into this business I learned much from working in a body shop. A painted on pinstripe was needed to be removed from a car and I wasn't to sure how to go about doing it, so I asked the shop for advice. They recommended oven cleaner.

It took the pin stripe off but you could see where the pinstripe was.

A few years later I learned rubbing alcohol did the same thing for removing pinstripes and lettering.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
January 16, 2006 10:18PM
<HTML>I have seen and in a few extreme cases the use of easy off but would not recommend it. Ron was right it is extremely harsh stuff and will wreck the paint. The only time we have used it was to remove sign paint lettering from an old ass work truck. We tried everything and this was the only thing that worked. The paint was already carved and the guy was going to have to paint it if we couldn't get the stuff off anyway so we gave it a shot. The stuff really softened up the paint but did finally get the sign paint to let go. I would never ever consider using this on a typical detail job.</HTML>

January 17, 2006 01:07AM
<HTML>Scott:

Glad to have your reply and know that most of the detailers on this sight are professional enough to not use this process to remove paint from vans and trucks, etc.

However, if you go to the DETAIL PLUS forum on Mobileworks where I posted the same question you will find several postings where they indicate that they have used it with great results.

Are there two different types of detailers on this forum vs Mobileworks?

As mentioned, the reason it works is not the Easy Off chemical, but the propellent used in the aerosol can.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 17, 2006 03:35PM
<HTML>While I have never used the product , I am not sure we should negate the use of OVEN-OFF completely if it may have some applications in wheel wells, underside of vehicle where it is hard to get to and can accomplish the job.</HTML>
January 17, 2006 03:52PM
<HTML>The point to be learned from this exercise in discussing the use of Easy - Off Oven Cleaner, and the reason I brought it up in the first place is that here you have a common practice and yet the people, including bodyshops that use it, do not even know why it works.

And, in this case, the success of the use of the product has nothing to do with the Easy-OFF but with a secondary chemical, the "propellant."

Easy-OFF as I understand is just a very caustic, high pH degreaser that would stain clear coat on either the paint on the body of the car or on clear coated wheels.

As I have always said, it is safer for detailers to buy chemicals from legitimate chemical companies and buy those that are formulated for specific purposes and use them for those purposes.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 21, 2006 06:42AM
<HTML>i got to be honest i have tried this process in my early years but had no success with it.if there was a easy way to take road paint off of vehicles ive never found it.bud i have to agree with you and ron i have spent a large sum of money and time teaching myself this business and the longer im in it the more guys i run into who dont have a clue about what their doing.the guy down the street from me uses engine cleaner for everthing carpets door panels you name it,hes been cleaning cars for ages and just doesnt want to pay for the proper chemicals to clean cars the proper way .</HTML>
January 27, 2006 07:44PM
<HTML>I have found that using GUNK's brand of bug and tar remover actually softens up hard to remove road paint pretty well with a yellow bug sponge.

Directions:

Apply Gunk's Bug and Tar remover - let sit for a minute or two
Take a Bug Sponge and gently scrub effected area
Wash or Showroom Shine and Auto Magic Fine grade clay effected area

and you should be good to go. It has gotten me out of having to use medium grade clay and the following buff job several times.</HTML>

X-Calibur 1 Auto Detailing / Paint / Collision Repair
12626 Old Jefferson HWY.
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225)756-5551
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login