Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

WAFFLE PADS

Posted by Bud Abraham 
WAFFLE PADS
May 07, 2006 10:44PM
<HTML>What do all of your detailers think of the waffle-pads?

Would you use them should they be less expensive that what 3M has been charging for several years?

Pros and Cons, please regarding the pad.

Thanks

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: WAFFLE PADS
May 08, 2006 07:49PM
<HTML>i see these pads all the time in body shops but never really thought they were anything i had to have.i have bought the quick adaptor from the edge buffing pad system and started to use the double sided pads for my rotary and pc.</HTML>
May 08, 2006 11:56PM
<HTML>The reason you see them in body shops and nowhere else is that they are sold only by 3M who has the patent on the waffle pad. They sell primarily to body shops because they are the only ones who will pay their high prices.

The waffle pad was sold by numerous detail pad companies when they first came out and had a great reception from the detail business. However, 3M flexed their patent muscles and everyone got out of the waffle business immediately. Since that time the only way to get a waffle pad was to buy from 3M at a very high price.

The reason detailers liked the waffle pad, and why body shops use them is because they work cooler since the entire face of the pad is not on the surface of the car. The waffle creates air pockets.

There will soon be a dual-sided waffle pad available, that is why I am asking the question about market acceptance of a dual sided waffle pad in both cutting and finishing.

Regards
Bud ABraham

buda
May 08, 2006 11:56PM
<HTML>The reason you see them in body shops and nowhere else is that they are sold only by 3M who has the patent on the waffle pad. They sell primarily to body shops because they are the only ones who will pay their high prices.

The waffle pad was sold by numerous detail pad companies when they first came out and had a great reception from the detail business. However, 3M flexed their patent muscles and everyone got out of the waffle business immediately. Since that time the only way to get a waffle pad was to buy from 3M at a very high price.

The reason detailers liked the waffle pad, and why body shops use them is because they work cooler since the entire face of the pad is not on the surface of the car. The waffle creates air pockets.

There will soon be a dual-sided waffle pad available, that is why I am asking the question about market acceptance of a dual sided waffle pad in both cutting and finishing.

Regards
Bud ABraham

buda
May 09, 2006 01:00AM
<HTML>I used the waffle pads about 6 years ago(the thin black 2 pad polishing package) no complaints but were expensive back then. You can get them in your local auto supply store and they are cheaper than the meguiars pads, which are priced outrageous here up in canada ,over 30 dollars for a pad!!!!
,I,ve switched to the lake country variable contact pads ,they work great and are half the price of the meguiars pads ,no sling with the pad pocket ;-)</HTML>
May 09, 2006 05:19AM
<HTML>Did not know that Meguiar's made a waffle pad since 3M has the patent on the waffle pad. Maybe 3M is making them for Meguiar's.

In any case we will have a reasonably priced dual-sided waffle pad available soon.

Regards
BudAbraham

buda
May 09, 2006 07:40PM
<HTML>bud pro also offers a waffle pad and ecp or auto armor 3m must make a fortune on those babies,anyway i think the future is in the double side with the quick connect.bud e-mail me i have question about your onestep and a dk blue subaru a did last night.</HTML>
May 10, 2006 10:41AM
<HTML>Bud, sorry for the confusion, meguairs doesn,t make waffle pads ,i said that i used the 3m waffles long ago but have been using meguiars(not waffle pads) and auto magic mostly before lake country. of course canada is limited to what we get here,the double edge ones i haven,t seen up here</HTML>
May 11, 2006 09:20PM
<HTML> I don't buy into the idea of the air pockets keeping the surface cooler. I think many years ago 3M found a way to get 2 pads from 1 piece of foam and came up with some marketing pitch to sell them . That said I'm not bashing or promoting them .

People that use waffle pads love them and there's no changing them over . Some guys still tie on those old bonnets and probably will till the day they die.
We're all used to certain products and methods , change is hard .

Bud guys that use the 3M waffle pads will love the double sided waffles , price may be the big issue with them .</HTML>
May 12, 2006 08:53PM
<HTML>bud heres an update per our conversation the other night.i did a black pontiac sunfire with 51k on it,this thing was rough.as per my contact with the dealer i do work for i dont do a ton of exterior work on cars that are 6999 or less.anyway i grabbed a white foam polishing pad and my porter cable and used diamond plus one-step it came out perfect and sold the next day,thanks for the advice on the pad.</HTML>
June 08, 2006 02:07PM
<HTML>I find that a reasonalbe alternative to the Waffle Pad is Tech. Choice/ECP's Foam Frenzy pad. I love the 3M Pad but it sis expensive teh Foam Frenzy pads are easy to use just as hard working and forgiving as the waffle pads(white) but cheaper ($9)</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
June 08, 2006 07:21PM
<HTML>keith it amazes me how many people have never heard of ecp or auto armor they own upstate ny and pa.they dont market themselves very well but there product is excellent and prices can not be matched,believe me i have tried.i have looked at trying my hand at distributing a product line but have found that many companies have priced themselves right out of the market and cannot be competitive in my area.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login