-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Re: Is there paint sealant on that car?
June 21, 2006 01:10AM
<HTML>Obviously! not what I was looking for.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
June 26, 2006 12:49PM
<HTML>It is not easy to tell, once the sealant has been on for more than a few months.

If a quality sealant, and the vehicle has not been washed with highly corossive cleaners, it still becomes difficult to tell if it is there.

Quality sealants can last much longer, providing protection, than some would have one to believe.

Loss of beading is not an indicator that a sealant is gone.

As long as there is gloss and the water sheets off, to some extent, there is still sealant present.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
June 26, 2006 11:47PM
<HTML>Thanks for your response Ketch.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
June 27, 2006 12:11AM
<HTML>As Ron states there is really no way to tell if a car has any wax or sealant protection on it.

Contrary to what most people, including detailers, think. Water beading is not a sign of protection. In fact, the ingredients in a protection product that cause beading do not necessarily protect and, as well, the ingredients that provide protection do not necessarily bead water.

If a customer comes to you and tells you they do not need waxing or protection because they have a super-duper paint sealant you need to educate them on the real truth.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 27, 2006 02:30PM
<HTML>Be careful of that, and here is why.

If they have DaimlerChrysler's Master Shield sealant on the vehicle and the detailer removes it or applies an unapproved product over it, which will weaken the M.S. sealant, the detailer just voided the warranty that the customer received when they purchased this DCX tested and approved product.

ketch</HTML>

June 27, 2006 06:01PM
<HTML>grump,how would a dealer or warranty rep know if something was applied over their sealant or if it was removed.</HTML>
June 27, 2006 08:14PM
<HTML>If it is "sticky" when warm, it's got wax on it.

They have other ways, ask them, I am not allowed to discuss it, only DCX warranty reps are allowed to.

Ketch</HTML>

June 27, 2006 11:05PM
<HTML>grump im not trying to bust your butt so please dont take it that way,but we sold paint sealant and electronic rust proofing for years at the dealer i used to work for the golden rule was simple.when your selling a $100 product for $899 or $1295 you fix everything.its pure profit and cant be charged back like a service contract.i cant find any info on this dcx master sheild on the net are there any links im not aware of.</HTML>
June 28, 2006 01:01PM
<HTML>I have purchased several of the different warranty sealants that dealers apply to vehicles in my area .

When a client comes with a vehicle that is 1 to 3 years old I ask if they purchased a warranty product from a dealer, I ask to see the warranty and re-apply the sealant or fabric protectant that has been placed on the vehicle by dealer after I have detailed the car. In fact a few days ago a client with a 1 year old mustang asked to have her vehicle waxed. I asked if she had purchased a warranty product for her vehicle and she said yes..I proceeded to explain why she needed to apply a sealant instead so as not to void her warranty, we worked on the vehicle and applied the dealer warranty product and as a result her husband is having his suv detailed with me.

I do this for several reasons to maintain the customers warranty, to help educate them on the benefits of protectants, and to demonstrate to them that I am more informed about this area of car care than the dealer and finally I hope to encourage then to purchase future warranty or sealant products from me instead of the dealer.</HTML>
June 28, 2006 01:16PM
<HTML>You worked for a dealer that sold products that were questionable.

The Electronic Rust unit has been the focus of law suits by various states Attorney Generals, as they are a proven scam.

Master Shield may only be purchased at a DCX dealership, as it is sold under the MoPar parts system, by DCX dealers only.

The same products as our CleanSealline we put together for detailers and carwashes, just no rust inhibitor or undercoating.

Three year warranty, requires a yearly inspection, no reapplication.

This program was developed so detailers could get some of this very profitable business and require the customer to return to the detailer installer each year for inspection.

Provides them with opportunities to sell services, such as scratch removal, interior cleaning, etc.

Very successful program for both detailers and full service carwashes.

ketch</HTML>

August 06, 2006 09:03PM
Gentlemen:
No one has presented an independent test showing that a sealant can last the phenomenal durations some makers claim. The prices tend to be high enough to keep these sealants out of reach of independent testers like me. Three years, five years ? They'll have to prove it to me.

The latest dealer-applied gimmick is " Simoniz ", guaranteed for 5 years.
Actually, the guarantee doesn't cover the sealant's durability at all ; it says that if you buy the sealant, your paint is guaranteed not to fail in 5 years.
The F&I blonde I spoke with was misleading about this.

As far as testing to see if any sealant is left on the paint, I suspect that feeling the paint for slickness would be a first step.

If miracle sealants worked, wouldn't they be available to detailers ? The Simoniz is only available to car dealers.

Doug Delmont
August 07, 2006 12:12AM
Doug:

You got it right, no wax, sealant or any other miracle space-age polymer, Teflon product will last 1 year, 2 years or 5 years. Best you are going to get is about 6 months. And that is not driving the car in the rain or snow. Not driving it in a salt air climate; not washing every week, etc. etc.

Sealants are certainly more durable than waxes, but not like the marketing hype that has accompanied them since the days to Poly-Glycoat.

You are right about most of the guarantees, they really guarantee the paint won't fail and that is a no-brainer as very few, if any clears, today would fail, even if they were not waxed in 5 years.

If you can imagine I have owned a car 5 years without waxing it and it looks great.

You cannot feel the sealant on the paint finish with your hands nor see it with the naked eye. You would have to take micro-scopic photos of the paint to determine if there was anything on the paint.

There are no miracle sealants, any more than there was a "Fountain of Youth" the Ponce de Leon spent his life trying to find.

When Blue Coral first came out more than 40 years ago it was only available through Cadillac dealers.

Simonize when it first came out more than 50 years ago was nothing more than a can of paste cleaner/wax like the liquid Turtle Wax of today.

However a great marketer, named "Bob Simon" came up with a great process using his cleaner/wax called, "Simonizing". For years that is what we all did when we had time was, "Simonize" our cars making Bob Simon's name a household word to this day.

Stick with detail products and detail suppliers who don't feed you the BS about wax and sealant products.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

buda
August 13, 2006 05:38AM
Test response
December 14, 2006 03:45PM
Gentlemen-
There is non-destructive testing and then there is detructive testing. One way to see if there is still sealant would be to clean a spot on the car with a product such as Griot's Paint Prep or a non-butyl all-purpose cleaner such as Meguiar's All Purpose Plus. Then, compare the area that you have stripped clean to the rest of the finish. If the cleaned spot feels less slick and looks duller, there is probably sealant still on the car.
You can then reseal the spot you cleaned, if you wish.
Doug
December 15, 2006 12:00AM
Hi Bud , Simonize was not a cleaner wax. It was a straight wax that needed a cleaner, which they made. A lot of people used Dupont #7 auto polish to clean the paint instead of simomize cleaner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login