Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

RE: Absorber & terry scratches

Posted by Don M 
January 06, 2002 03:27PM
One of the things people don't realize about the absorber, is that it is a lot like a sponge. If you press down on it while you are trying to dry the car, you will force the water out of it, and back onto the car's surface.

With the absorber, you have to let it's own weight do the work. No pressure, just wipe it over the surface. Too, you have to wring it out frequently. Hold it just hard enough to keep it from slipping out of your hand while drying, with just enough pressure against the car's finish to make contact and wipe, that's it.

As for the terry cloth scratches, most of the problems can be directly related to how yo wash your car care towels. I have a simple method to keep these problems to a minimum:

1) Wash everything TWICE. Most car care products are extremely water/detergent resistant, and just one wash may not clean them all out of the fabric. Wash in the hottest water you can to soften up the oils & waxes in the material so the detergents have a better chance of gettng rid of them.

2) NEVER, EVER use ANY kind of fabric softener in the wash OR the dry cycle. Softeners have crystaline additives that can be like sand against a car's finish.

3) Seriously consider using a product like Eagle One's 'Wipe & Shine' as a lubricant for waxing. Spray a light mist over the panel just before applying the wax.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
January 06, 2002 06:06PM
Hi Don and Welcome back

Thanks for the tip on the absorber use. I finally was able to get on here in Canada however I have not been impressed with its performance so far for the very reason that you state in your post. I find that it holds great amounts of water but have been cursed with small water spots remaining behind.

I will give it another go using your light touch advice and let you know how things work out.

Regards
January 06, 2002 06:14PM
You should go over the surface at least twice. Once to get the bulk of the water off, the second pass should be to get the remaining water off. If there is still drops on the car after that, wring it out well, and lightly 'buff' the surface lightly.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login