Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Where do you find good employees?

Posted by mirrorfinishman 
Where do you find good employees?
November 13, 2006 04:23PM
Please share your thoughts on the subject of where you go to find good employees.

Do you advertise in local newspapers?

Do you advertise in trade magazines?

Do you advertise at local job fairs?

Do you advertise on the internet?

Do you ask friends and family for recommendations?

Do you contact local high schools, colleges and trade schools?

Do you use an employment service?

Do you expect applicants to walk in and apply for the job?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2006 12:05AM by mirrorfinishman.
Re: Where do you find good employees?
November 15, 2006 01:49AM
You look for good employees in good places. You network with other good employees. You contact churches in the area and see if they know of some good member of the congregation that is looking for a job.

I have had good luck with high school juniors and senior; junior college students and Hispanics and ethnic peoplesfrom another country looking for a job in the USA.

What you say in your advertisement if you advertise is critical. If you say "detailing" all you will get is detailers or those who think they might be able to do it.

Run this ad:

AUTO SERVICE TRAINEES - Auto service business has immediate openings for a new dept and seeks aggressive, self starters with a great work ethic for entry level positions. Opportunity to make excellent salary. No experience necessary, will train. Must have valide NJ driver's license; excellent driving record; HS diploma. Drug testing required. Email your resume to ____________

This will eliminate the bad ones.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 15, 2006 03:01AM
I'm guessing that halfway houses, work release, drug treatment programs, bars and crack houses is the wrong answer ?
Doug

" If you want a helping hand, look at the end of your arm."
November 15, 2006 04:38AM
Doug

You are correct. These places are not a good source of employees.

One can have social concern for people, but when in business you cannot be a social worker. You must have people who do not have "baggage" and these people certainly have "baggage" to deal with.

If you want to help them, do it as a volunteer worker but you are really taking a chance hiring people from the places that you mention.

Thank you for suggesting these sources of labor, many detail business do just what you suggest, hire from these places and have nothing but problems.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 16, 2006 03:35AM
Bud-
Thanks, but I apologize. I was kidding about those sources and did not mean to waste your time. Next time I'll insert the letters HAHA or LOL if I joke.
Doug
November 16, 2006 11:51PM
Bud,

As always, thanks for a good post!

Who would be the most logical person to talk to when contacting local high schools and junior colleges? Would it be best to just walk in? call? or email? Is there a particular staff person who handles these types of things?

Thanks in advance.

November 17, 2006 12:19AM
Frank:

High schools; junior/community colleges; universities all have job placement departments and all you need do is call the high school; jr or community college or university and say you want to talk to the person responsible for posting available jobs.

They will get you to that person who will usually ask you to email the job information. I do this all the time.

Another source I have found that works is Craig's List. www.craigslist.com and go to the catagory of job you are offering and when on that page hit "post" and put the job on there.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 17, 2006 12:34AM
Thanks Bud!

January 12, 2007 04:21AM
good employees are hard to find, a lot of interviewing is the only way I know
January 12, 2007 05:16AM
Crowbait

You are right they are hard to find, but just interviewing is not the complete answer either.

You have to look at resumes and applications before even taking the time to interview because they will tell you a great deal about the person before you even interview.

Personally I have been seeking at least one and maybe two shift managers for the car wash for the last 4 months and have yet to find one person I would dare hire to put in charge of the car wash for an 8 hour shift.

It is not a question of money, we can pay a reasonable wage, it is finding people who have the work ethic and savy to operate the business.

Of course, it is not as hard to find line people who, personally supervised can function OK.

But, we really look hard at how they fill out an application, what they say and their job history. If they have had 6 jobs in the last year and a half, why bother you can bet they are not going to stay with you.

Other things to watch out for are a. No driver's license; b. Bad driving record c. Arrested or convicted of a crime. They are not absolutes, but they do help you in your selection process.

Regards
Bud Abraham
January 15, 2007 07:45AM
Finding good employees is easy. Just ask a detailer if he is a good employee. I guarantee his answer will be, "Yes". (LOL)

If you are missing a good employee, check under the dashboard...
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login