Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is waxing a new car ridiculous?

Posted by billd55 
May 26, 2011 12:29AM
1st Gear

Gallery
I was just wondering if I should re-wax the new MCS? I heard that the dealers/manufacturers wax prior to delivery, but I am wanting to make sure the car is set for the winter months.. What are your thoughts?

Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum

Gallery
Garage
Absolutely not. The first thing you should do is PROPERLY wax your car. Your dealer is NOT in the business of maintaining your paint. They will gladly sell you a coating or plan that gives them more money, but to give you paint protection after it leaves their lot?

For winter protection use a good durable synthetic polymer wax. Clean the paint thoroughly with a Dawn liquid soap wash, then protect it with something like Prima Epic. Although I normally suggest also claying the paint, the minimum would be to strip the old wax off, and apply a good polymer sealant.

Don't get it wet for 24 hours after application so that the polymers can cure properly and you will have the best protection against the winter months.

What I find stupid about this statement is this:

Quote:

Your dealer is NOT in the business of maintaining your paint. They will gladly sell you a coating or plan that gives them more money, but to give you paint protection after it leaves their lot?

First, the sealant the dealer sells will provide protection, and washing will only be required.

Second, the wax will offer nothing by shine and beading, and little at best protection. Does he mention who is making the money when correction will be needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login