Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

It is really not that hard to understand

Posted by billd55 
It is really not that hard to understand
May 28, 2011 04:34AM
I found this post, but it really does not matter who wrote it.Although, it shows the way people view this business.

Re: This kills me

<HTML>What you have to do is cater to the customers who are willing to pay the $125 to $200 for a complete detail.

But you also have to provide a perception of value. Face facts, a smart, savy businessman who would pay you top dollar for a detail realizes that a mobile detailer does not have the overhead of a fixed location and their decision to not pay you is based on their perception of what your service is worth.

Why do people pay $75,000 for a Mercedes Benz or BMW whereas the top of the line VW can only command about $30,000, yet the VW is a wonderful car. Why? Because they perceive it is worth more.

Most mobile operations cannot command as much as a fixed location for this reason. In fact, they usually have to charge less. When, in fact, custom at your home or office, in any other business would command more dollars.

If you go to a locksmith you can get a key made for about $6.00 but if they have to come to your house or office it is about $50. Can a detailer charge extra for that service? No! Why? Perception of value.

As I have often said to the charging of detailers but many customers see mobile detailers as no more than good "shoe-shine boys." They respect you, they will pay you a certain amount and they will call you back. But they do not respect you as a professional, highly skilled technician.

I feel this quote really sums up a lot about this business:
As I have often said to the charging of detailers but many customers see mobile detailers as no more than good "shoe-shine boys." They respect you, they will pay you a certain amount and they will call you back. But they do not respect you as a professional, highly skilled technician.

Why is this? Well IMO it is because there is no perception of value.
What are you offering the customer of value besides a shiny car? I have posted
many examples of cars that are bought new from a dealership full of swirl marks
that require another detailer to fix. Many man hours of labor, and cash are required to make the car presentable.

If you owned these cars, and had to pay for it out of your pocket would you see any value here?What kills me is that dealerships keep hiring these hackers,
and who in their right mind would ever consider these detailers highly skilled technicians, or professionals?

Personally, I have had to deal with this stigma for years. When I started in the business, mobile detailing was a new idea. Although, ever tom, dick, and harry
was soon in the business.

I got lucky when I entered the business. The guys that did all the Miami Vice cars and boats taught me how to use acrylic sealants back in the 80's. They were
using a product similar to AT-5.I worked with them for awhile, and went out on my own by passing out cards.

In the 80's. wax was used a lot because stage 1 paints were still around. It was
really no big deal to buff a layer of paint off because of the thickness. Defects
were easy to correct.

That all changed when clear coat finishes were introduced. Clearly, methods did
not. Detailers have continued to use the same methods and products, but refuse to
see that they are not for Stage 2 paint finishes.

Using the word protection implies something. When I apply Thompson's water seal
on a wooden deck to protect it from the elements for example I expect it to do just that for the time stated. If not, then I feel cheated.

When I worked at a car wash I had to deal with a owner who offered $30.00
wax jobs that a bunch mexican's did in the twenty minutes. Sure, he did a few a day, but you get what you pay for.

I was trying to explain to him that protection is what customers want. They want someone that can show them how to protect their paint for a fair price that does
not require special washing requirements. Like many here, it was all about profit
to him.

Having a license, insurance, and a fixed location only makes you legal. I have seen shops come and go in this business. It is not how many cars you pump out a day. It is all about what you offer your customer.

As I tell all my customers. You can change tires, brakes, water pumps, and batteries, but when your paint is shot, you will see how much you car is really worth.

Being 56 years old, I am toning down my business. I work with a select group of customers who get what I am offering them. After 5 years, their cars look better
than new, and many continue to drive them instead of buying a new car.They wash their cars at car washes, and once a year I visit them to add another year of protection.

They do not view me as a shoe-shine boy, but with respect for what I offer them.
My motto is: It is better to protect than to correct the clear coat.Hopefully,
new products will come out like Opti-Coat and others that will finally get
rid of wax and sealants forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 05:13PM by billd55.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login