Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Removing water spots on Windows!!!

Posted by Karen 
Removing water spots on Windows!!!
January 14, 2002 08:29PM
I washed my truck for the first time after buying it and now there are spots on all the windows. I have tried using a vinager mixtre to remove them with no luck. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what to do?
You can use your favorite glass cleaner while using the number #00 steel wool. All your problems will be solved. Good Luck with your squeaky clean windows.
Dan
Re: Removing water spots on Windows!!!
January 15, 2002 05:02PM
Listen to the steel wool theory if you want tiny scratches all over your windshield. Obviously this guy thinks the air we breath is the same as it was 20 years ago, and paint finishies are the same now as they were in 1975. Now they use less glass and more plastic material in windsheilds, which can cause scratching if #00 steel wool is apllied, advice is great if you can find the good stuff. Good luck
January 16, 2002 01:11AM
i have a 99.5 vw and am PISSED OFF because of scratches on my windshield! they are putting more and more polymers in the glass for saftey reasons(and probably cost concerns somewhere) and this is making the glass softer. ten years ago steel wool was no problem( even 5 years ago!), but now adays you just have to be careful. spots that wont come off with glass cleaner are probably well water spots(?). try a light polish first. i think there is maybe a little more to your situation than you are advising us of.(sorry mom, i ended a sentence with a preposition). how old is the vehicle and what type is it? do you park near a wellwater sprinkler? how is the city water in your area?
January 16, 2002 11:01AM
It is a 97 GMC Jimmy. I got it about a week before Christmas. And i've always been told we have soft water here in the soft. That im not sure of. I didnt see any spots on the windows (beleive me i checked it out preety good) before i washed it. I didnt have time to dry it and late that afternoon (after i dove it) i saw the spots. And no i DO NOT park near a sprinkler.
January 18, 2002 06:06AM
waterspots in my opinion are the worst! a car can be totally detailed but if the windows are spotted then to me that just ruins the whole detail. so before we think of getting rid of them, its good to know how to prevent them, i know evryone has there advice so ill name just a few. a car should NEVER be washed outside on a hot sunny day. also the type of water being used, theres such a thing as soft water that helps in not leaving waterspots. when ever you washed your car or get it washed you should always make sure the windows are dried first. whats works really good on removing waterspots is a chemical that has both glass and chrome cleaners. you dont even need to use steelwool, a good terry towel or dual acton polisher will do the job. in finally once you do remove the waterspots make sure they dont come back by protecting them with a window protectant, i forget the name right now but it helps repel rain, you know what im talking about.
January 18, 2002 05:00PM
i have used just about everything(or it seems like it) for waterspots. as a first step -you could always try a little toothpaste on a rag and do a small spot. this is usually safe and if it removes the spots, a light polish will work fine on the rest. most everybody has a little toothpaste somewhere.just remember also to dry after you wash.
January 26, 2002 03:02AM
I have another problem with my windshield. The person who washed his car in a public car wash in front of me used hot wax and when my car went through the windshield of my car was coated with wax :-((. Now whenever it rains/snows and I use the wiper my windshield gets messed up and I for some reason cannot remove the wax. Need some good advice on this.

Thanks
Preet
Try using some rubbing alcohol on your front windshield. This will remove any residue that you are mentioning & will solve your problem. You can also e-mail me for any additional information if you like. No question is too small to ask. Good Luck with your glass. Following the above procedure, you can use your favorite glass cleaner with a cotton cloth & your glass should be good as new.
January 26, 2002 12:14PM
OK... Do not use Steel wool or anything else abrasive on your window! If you pull into most gas stations they have a squeegee in a solution, use it. Doing just that should get most of the spots out. You can use window cleaners also. the next time you wash your car make sure you have a squeegee and while the windows are still wet dry them with the squeegee. Do not let the water dry on the windows. I had to learn this trick after I moved to Jacksonville the water is very hard with sulfur.

"77" was My Year!!!
Your reply isn't referring to any of the serious water spots that have been noted on the board. These are not lazy water spots from lazy rinsing or hard water.

These hard water spots that have been mentioned are water spots from other harsh enviromental elements.
February 01, 2002 08:41AM
I'D LIKE TO ADD THAT USING 000 STEEL WOOL IS GREAT , YOU HAVE TO SOAK YOUR WINDSHIELD WITH YOUR FOVORIE GLASS CLEANER AND THEN GENTLY USE THE STEEL WOOL WITH OUT ANY PRESSURE ON THE PAD AND IT WORKS GREAT.
Make sure that you tell everbody your amazing results as care should always be taken due to the new content that in developed into the new glass windshields. You have different coatings in & on the new glass.

Good to hear some advise was well taken.
February 01, 2002 07:59PM
There is a Product on the Market called Ducky out of Pasadena California that is made for Marine use that really seems to help get out the water spots. Everyone is right those spots are not just lack of drying. The contaminants are eating into the glass.

TerriK
February 01, 2002 07:59PM
There is a Product on the Market called Ducky out of Pasadena California that is made for Marine use that really seem to help get out the water spots. Everyone is right those spots are not just lack of drying. The contaminants are eating into the glass.

TerriK
February 04, 2002 09:44PM
Terri is right, the idea for using a marine product worked for me! I used a '3M Marine Fiberglass "One Step" Restorer and Wax' that I had never used sitting in the garage.......I tried a test area and it worked! I then proceeded to do a couple windows.....NO SCRATCHES...and the spots are gone........you really gotta rub the crap out of em, and then buff the window with clean dry cloth.....mirror like finish too....
February 04, 2002 10:27PM
Karen. I seen the other repies to your question from the other Detailers. The 00 Steel Wool is to course. Use nothing higher than 000 steel wool on the windows. Depending how long the waterspots have been on the glass. And if they are water spots and not Acid rain markswhich would resembe eachother. The steel wool (Lightly) with window Cleaner with high alchol or vinegar content should do the job. You always should use a window cleaner with a high alcohol or vinegr content when it comes to cleaning windows. The more water you have the more streaks you will get. The other window cleaners will evaporate alot quicker allowing less streaks.

Good luck. If I can be of future help give us a shout

Finishing Touch
Professional Auto Detailing
"Where the Celebrities choose to come"
20 Fulton St. Suite F
New Haven, Ct 06512
Tel/Fax(203)469-1607
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login