Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Flex or Cyclo?

Posted by bobm 
Flex or Cyclo?
August 04, 2011 01:17PM
Yesterday I had a pickup in that only needed one side polished as the other side had just been repainted. Now, not wanting to spend all afternoon cleaning it up I wished for one of those dual action polishers that dont fling compound everywhere. So I dug out the Dewalt and flung compound everywhere. Anybody use one of these machines for small jobs? I like the big rotary's ability to get the job done but for just one or two panels it makes more work in the end.
Re: Flex or Cyclo?
August 04, 2011 03:53PM
Bob the flex xc 3401 vrg is simply an amazing tool to use......the rotary is much smoother to use with quicker results but the flex can also give moderate results with no mess or holograms... your wife will love it lol
Re: Flex or Cyclo?
August 04, 2011 04:01PM
I was always a rotary user until about 6 months ago. I have a Flex L602 VR which is big at 3.3kg. Great for German paints that need gentle power. Then I got the Flex L3403 which is 2.2 kg. Initially I got this as a back-up in case the other broke down (never has in 11 years). The 3403 is a great little polisher as well though.

But I recently got the XC3401 Orbital Rotary and all I can say is WOW! Fantastic machine! A bit expensive, but I have no regrets buying it as I use it for at least two stages on every car. This has excellent polishing ability for DA because the rotary action is still there. I have PC rotting in my cabinet since I got this!)

Here's where I use it.
Detailer-friendly paints - foamed wool pad and foam polishing / finishing pad with a single system polish (I like Gtechniq P1 and if I reach a deep scratch, I just add a little Fast Cut Plus onto the wool pad)

Soft paint and sensitive paint, same as above and then polish, finish and apply my sealant with the 3401.

Hard paint - I cut and polish with my rotary, but then I use the 3401 with a polishing pad (not a finishing pad) and some P1 at medium speed to finish. I usually apply the sealant with the 3401 as well.

Its way more powerful and versatile than the Cyclo. Actually, I would like to hear if anybody is using a FLEX with the Automagic Risk Free system to see if it is any good.

Hope that helps. Actually, one of the nice things about the 3401 is that it gives your brain a bit of a rest as well. You know the way you need to remain focused when using the Rotary... the RO is much safer so you can relax and enjoy the work a bit more!!!

Cheers. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login