Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Polishing or just removing the remaining wax

Posted by billd55 
Polishing or just removing the remaining wax
January 04, 2012 05:40PM
[i2.photobucket.com]
[i2.photobucket.com]
[i2.photobucket.com]

What truly amazes me is that many detailers view pics like these, and cannot see a common thread. They say wax cannot
produces scratches, but then when they view pics like these they blame it on poor washing methods. Then they say these
are actual scratches in the clear coat.

When I watch how correction detailers prep their cars they normally spray the soap on the car and let it sit, and believe
that will remove all the wax. I really do not see how they come to this conclusion by determining if the water beads or not.

Moonlight 46 mentioned something to me that got me thinking on this subject. He bought a 2008 black car that had water spots on it. He waxed the car with several coats of Meguiars wax. When he applied the AT-5, he used Dawn to remove the
wax coats, but found that did not work. He used a pre-cleaner I sent him that he watched the wax peel off when he applied it by hand.

Letting a soap sit on a car will not remove all the wax, nor will the clay bar remove it either. Basically, IMO all the polishing done in these pics are to remove the remaining wax buildup. In all the years I have used AT-5, I have never seen this type
of scratches, marring, or whatever you call it like in these pics.

At first, this condition in these pics will be easy to remove, but the continued use of wax will lead to a condition where
more abrasive polishes and compounds will be needed to cut thru the buildup. Wax can cover flaws, but it can also
distort the natural shine and beauty of the paint. These pics are a perfect example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 09:32PM by billd55.
Re: Polishing or just removing the remaining wax
January 04, 2012 09:42PM
Bill:

[youtu.be]

Go to 1.04 and on where you swiftly try to not film the bootlid catching the direct sunshine. It looks like pretty similar damage but the guy taking the photos above is using light to highlight the surface damage. You try to hide it by not filming it.

Are you actually saying that if you remove the wax, then this damage will be gone? I keep telling you that I get cars in all the time with surface damage. Some of the cars have not been waxed in a long time (if ever), others might have a recent coat of a random sealant. Either way, I decontaminate the surface to remove everything. IT NEVER CHANGES THE AMOUNT OF SURFACE HAZE. And yes, I do enquire about the care history of the cars. It aids me in giving a price estimate to owners.

Wax is too thin and too temporary to sustain the visible marks that you are so sure is in the wax. Why don't you believe this. Do you not think that at least one other detailer in the whole wide world, maybe even someone using AT5, might have by now removed the wax and saw that all the marks were gone? Why are you the only one saying this? Does it not strike you as being remotely odd?
January 04, 2012 10:06PM
With your rambling about how wax does this and that and it's the root to all paint problems I'm reminded of this excerpt from a speech

"Success is the important thing. Propaganda is not a matter for average minds, but rather a matter for practitioners. It is not supposed to be lovely or theoretically correct. I do not care if I give wonderful, aesthetically elegant speeches, or speak so that women cry. The point of a political speech is to persuade people of what we think is right. I speak differently in the provinces than I do in Berlin, and when I speak in Bayreuth, I say different things than I say in the Pharus Hall. That is a matter of practice, not of theory. We do not want to be a movement of a few straw brains, but rather a movement that can conquer the broad masses. Propaganda should be popular, not intellectually pleasing. It is not the task of propaganda to discover intellectual and real truths."

Speech by Joseph Goebbels on 9 January 1928 to an audience of party members at the so-called "Hochschule für Politik", a series of training talks for Nazi party members in Berlin.

There a saying that also comes to mind.

"He who states from his mind what he believes is fact, and continues to state it as fact, soon believes it to be a real fact! when it truth it not a fact but fantasy."

Author unknown

You really need to stop this rambling!! Go out in the real Detailing world, talk with some the truly respected detailing professionals one on one with out the ego of your right and the rest of the world is wrong.

At first it was really funny, but now I'm almost embarrassed for you because you so far out in "wackersville".

If this pisses you to bad you need to step back and look at you actions and words. Do you really think Detailers would give so much resistance it what you say was founded in fact not fantasy?

Six or Seven years ago you came blasting on the Mobile Works with same stuff and met with the same resistance

PLEASE give it a rest! Your Beliefs are not founded it FACT!

[www.autodetailingnetworkforums.com]
January 05, 2012 02:07AM
Quote:
Go to 1.04 and on where you swiftly try to not film the bootlid catching the direct sunshine. It looks like pretty similar damage but the guy taking the photos above is using light to highlight the surface damage. You try to hide it by not filming it.

Look, I have explained this several times Profile. What you are seeing on this car is actual deep scratches. This car had these scratches on it when I did this car the first time, and I am not trying to hide anything. To remove those scratches on the trunk would require wet sanding to remove them.

Quote:

Are you actually saying that if you remove the wax, then this damage will be gone? I keep telling you that I get cars in all the time with surface damage

In some cases Yes, but others No. I keep telling you , but clearly you do not listen. If there is damage or actual scratches then NO, but in this example Yes. When brand new cars that have not been sold look like this, then what else could it be.
I am sorry, but new cars do not look like this when they come from the factory.

Quote:

Wax is too thin and too temporary to sustain the visible marks that you are so sure is in the wax. Why don't you believe this.

Where are your facts to back that statement up? Why can wax cover up swirl marks for a short time??????? How can this happen if wax is toooooo thin and temporary.

Quote:

Do you not think that at least one other detailer in the whole wide world, maybe even someone using AT5, might have by now removed the wax and saw that all the marks were gone? Why are you the only one saying this? Does it not strike you as being remotely odd?

More than likely NO, Here is why. Most correction detailers use wax/ sealants. Most strip wax by using a foam gun and let the soap sit on the car, and they ASSUME that takes all the wax off, Well assuming something does not make you right.

The reason I am saying this is because I have never used wax in my business. Working in several detail shops I saw what polishing did to cars, and figured out that wax was the reason. After years of applying AT-5, I never saw this common type of marring shown in these examples.

Quote:

Either way, I decontaminate the surface to remove everything. IT NEVER CHANGES THE AMOUNT OF SURFACE HAZE.

How do you know for sure everything is removed when you wash and clay. The haze you see maybe what you have not removed.
yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 02:51AM by billd55.
January 05, 2012 02:29AM
How it all got started
Custom Detail was establish in the spring of 1992 with help of family and friends to turn my passion and hobby for Boats and RVs into a business I love doing and can't wait to start each day.
We started as a mobile business, but with Oregon weather being what it is, we worked from our garage, but as the boats became bigger & wider it was clear we needed more room.
So we went shopping for a new facility and found a new home, shop and a Christmas tree farm in the process. Now we have a place to work year round, consequently we no longer offer full mobile service. We are the Boat and RV Detailing Expert, not a car detailer that works on Boats and RVs. In fact it is the other way around. We may only work on 1 or 2 cars or trucks a month, and only for private party customers, not car dealers!
Specialties

Expert Boat & RV appearance restoration

You state you are not a car detailer, but a Boat and RV Detailer, and you state you may work on 1 or 2 cars or trucks a month.
What makes you a respected detailing professional that can tell me I am wrong?

Quote:

At first it was really funny, but now I'm almost embarrassed for you because you so far out in "wackersville".

Randy, when you become a car detailer then maybe you may have a clue what the hell you are talking about.
If telling people how to protect their paint is what you consider "wackersville" , then I have nothing to be embarrrassed
about. If that hurts your feelings, well I am not sorry.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 03:21AM by billd55.
February 12, 2012 03:38AM
Bill posted : "Randy, when you become a car detailer then maybe you may have a clue what the hell you are talking about. "

Is that language considered civil discussion on this forum ?

Doug
February 20, 2012 03:30PM
Quote from Randy:

Is that language considered civil discussion on this forum ?

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login