Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buffers

Posted by Lone Wolf 
Buffers
December 16, 2001 12:37AM
What are the different kind of buffers. Types, not brands. What's the difference between them, and what is the difference in what you use them for. I have a craftsman buffer, about 50-60 bucks. What is the diff between mine and the pro line?

Thanx
Re: Buffers
December 16, 2001 02:27AM
The difference between buffers/polishers is the speed in rpms. The orbitals just do a back & fourth motion. Another words, you wouldn't really be able to remove heavy oxidation using an orbital, you would have to use a polisher with 1750 rpms to rid of it properly. The proline can take the extra amprage & heavy prolong use & not burn out rather than an inexpensive one.
December 16, 2001 03:48PM
toddco pretty much answered that one. the two most common are the rotary polisher and the orbital. the rotary is the machine that does the heavy duty work like oxidation and scratch removal. the orbital basically is the tool used for touch up polish and final finish waxing and sealing. the orbital that you have is the plastic lightwieght version. there is also a heavywieght metal version made that weighs from about 12 pounds to 18 pounds. these are probably the tuffest and most durable and i personally prefer these. i do have an old sears craftsman(10 years old) plastic orbital made by chamberlain/waxcoa and it has done at least a thousand cars but is really showing its age. i still prefer the metal orbitals as replacement parts are easily available. my only complaints about the metal buffers are the fact that the buffers are a little hard to work with because of the weight and there is also the problematic power cord.
December 16, 2001 04:28PM
sorry, i guess i forgot the porter-cable. this is sort of a hybrid. still considered an orbital.
December 16, 2001 06:36PM
Is 1750 rpms a standard?
What I should ask is, what rpm range do they come in and what range would be used?
Are the variable speed?

What is the best size pad to get.

thanx
December 17, 2001 05:49AM
1750 is the recommended rpm that you want to use a polisher at without doing any type of severe buring of the bodies edges. Standard orbital size pads are around 10" to 11". The polishers/buffers will do a lot better job if you can purchase one that has an adjustable speed control on it.
Dan
December 17, 2001 06:14AM
When purchasing a rotary polisher, I recomend buying one in which you can adjust the RPMS. Some products work better at lower RPM's and some work better at higher. The products I like work better at 1750 RPM, however my buddy likes the Automagic products which are excellent at 1200 rpms. Its all preference, and you really wont know what you like until you start working A LOT with different speeds, pads, and product. I recomend the dewalt variable speed, Which is the same as the old black and decker buff master. You can buy one the cheapest at Harborfreight.com or ebay. Good luck
December 18, 2001 01:49AM
Ok..... thanks for the info so far.

So I think I'm looking for a rotory, with a 10 or 11" pads, that has different settings and variable speeds...right?

Does the dewalt have different settings and variable?

Now I'm wondering about the different kind of pads. What are the different kinds and what are they each used for?

thanx
December 18, 2001 04:39AM
Lonewolf,

I'll turn you into the lone buffmaster before in no time at all. Yes, the dewalt series of polishers do have the adjustable settings & you will want to stay into the 1750 rpm range. Before you plan on spending your money on the dewalt model, look very hard into the Milwaukee polisher with the adjustable speed. You will have to spend a few more dollars, but it will be worth it. I have been using the same Milwaukee model for the last six years & made my money back in one job. You will not be disappointed, trust me! Go to www.coastaltool.com & you might find the model that I'm talking about or just go to the Milwaukee web site. Happy get into the buff!
Dan
December 18, 2001 06:58AM
You wont be disapointed in the Dewalt either. You can adjust the rpm's from 1000 to 3000 at 100 rpm intervals. REMEMBER 1750 rpm is only the MAXIMUM speed you should be buffing at, not the recomended speed for "all types" of buffing. I would go with the dewalt, why say no to versatility, which is what you need, not every single stage paint is created egual and not all clear coat paints are created equal. Good luck in choosing your buffer.
December 24, 2001 03:06PM
I bought the Makita variable speed for myself for Christmas, I haven't used it yet. I'm tired of the ones in our shop breaking all the time. (DeWalt) so i bought by own. I understand that you want to have a constant speed polisher, where as when you apply pressure, the speed stays the same. You will have to speed $200.00 plus for one that will last...good luck.....

December 24, 2001 04:51PM
we used the black and decker 6000 series buffers back in thelate 80's and early 90's (pretty much the same as the dewalt)and they were great buffers, but they only lasted about a year on average. this was in a fairly high production 1 bay shop where it was used on 3-4 cars a day. the milwaukee buffer was the replacement after several b/d's and it was heavy, but held up much better in the long run. a good connection with the repair man will help you out because he can help out with changing the brushes
December 24, 2001 07:02PM
You might want to hold on to that receipt for your Makita. I personally will only recommend using the Milwaukee model with the adustable speed control dial on it. I have burned out many Makita for testing purposes & will not use any but the Milwaukee models for their high reputation. You can get a real good price on the above model at www.coastaltool.com.

You will be very happy you did & this model features a cord that comes off for correct storage when not in use to provide your unit from the cord being frayed while wrapping it up when not in use.
December 24, 2001 07:04PM
We change all of our brushes no matter what type of conditon every year. It can be done in a matter of minutes with the right tools.
Dan
December 25, 2001 03:51AM
i would agree, I have put my milwakee through hell and it runs like new.

Lone Wolf, dont worry about the weight so much, their are ways to hold the machine without much fatigue, work smarter not harder! For side panels, (if you are right handed) your left hand would be on the side (handlebar) gripping so (hypthetically) yo could "curl" the buffer like weight lifting, This way your bicept wil be doing the work instead of your wrists. If you still dont "get it" the method is in the book "Ultimate Auto Detailing" note a lot of the methods in this book are outdated and made for the "weekend warrior" so to speak, so watch out, go with your insticts and ASK questions to us. Take care
December 26, 2001 12:47AM
toddco-dont forget i have two left hands and am not very cooridinated!! i try not to take anything apart anymore. nice to know i can send a buffer to you for brush replacement though!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login