Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Detailing Appreciation

Posted by Tom 
Tom
New Detailing Appreciation
January 21, 2002 03:15AM
How many times should you wax? How often? Wax build up?
Do you need to polish ever time you wax? I understand polishing is the preparation for waxing.

I did not know how involved detailing is. I took my older car to a detailer about four times a year. Now that I have a spanky brand new SUV, I would like to care for it myself.

I have a new found appreciation for auto detailing. It is a lot of work.

Thanks

Tom
Tom,

This question really depends on how well you want to treat & keep up your vehicle. Personally if I had your Honda CRV, I would polish & wax it every other month. Your finish has a clear coat on it & you also stated that you have the green finish. Your finish is a green metallic that has the metal flake in it followed by a clear coat. Metallic finishes do require more care than base colors due to the pigment that is contained in a metallic finish.

The other factor is cost, how often are you able to afford having it done or doing it yourself. Most likely you will be doing it yourself & what is important here is your time. You have to ask yourself, is my time worth the same amount of time I could have it professionally detailed?

As you might already know, detailing is exactly what the word implies, detailing the little aspects that a vehicle is made up from. You have the exterior, interior, engine compartment, undercarriage & etc.

What you don't want to do is by reading all of this & get discourge over how long it may take you. You do not have to do everything in one day.

You can do maybe one half of the vehicle on a Sat. & the other half on Sun. Anything is possible & you can also do the same type of method for the interior as well.

A note of caution, if you plan on cleaning your engine compartment, use plastic bags for the electrical components & do not get carried away with the water. Use only enough water to remove the cleaning solution of your choice. You also do not want to introduce cold water onto a hot engine due to the warpage of the engine block. Clean the engine early in the morning for best results.

Happy Detailing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login