Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Problem Surface

Posted by Lone Wolf 
Problem Surface
January 22, 2002 07:00PM
Howdy,

This is a multiple what if question.
I have an old snowmobile, fiberglass hood,black. Sits out side un covered.
I believe it has a clear coat, minimal I would guess. I used some rubbing compound in a corner and didn't see any black come off, so I assume it has a clear coat?

The hood was nearly gray, so I used a wax cleaner and a paint cleaner in different areas, both did about the same.

Them I rubbed it with scrath X.

Then #7 Glaze.
At this point I was rather impressed with how the black was coming out.

Then I used a Carnuba wax, It didn't do much, close up it seemed to shine better,
but when I stepped back to appraise the work it had a haze.

I should point out that I had used this as an experiment last year, using pin stripping tape to put flames on the hood.

I'm wondering if the tape traps some of the old applications dirt along the edges.
Possibly contaminating the was and work done alon the way, causing the poor results.

What are your opinions on this?

I also would like to know what I should do in a situation like this in the future?

Second problem, I started to look closer at the job and noticed that there were tiny white spots on the hood. So many that I thought I was looking at a metal flake. It turns out that there are a ton of pits in the paint that must have filled with some of the applications I applied.

How would I remedy this and prevent it from happening again. It's not worth re painting. But could be a good item for me to expeirement on. Practice if you may.

thanx
?????
January 23, 2002 08:31PM
Any thoughts on this?

thanx
Dan
Re: ?????
January 24, 2002 08:14AM
I tried, I read, I dont understand? Explain more in depth about what the hell this type of paint is!!! Not to be rude!!
Re: ?????
January 24, 2002 12:47PM
it sounds to me like you have heavy oxidation and you are using all hand products when you should be using a high speed rotary. Nothing will remove what you are trying to get out by hand. if you don't have experience with this machine, take it somewhere and have it done. As far as the decal/pin-stripe...yes you will trap material in the lines around the border and must be extra careful working around it so it doesn't peel off. I work with cars that have graphics, and I'm always careful working around them. if you get some product inbetween the lines of decal, you can use a fine detail brush to get it out......good luck....turboman

Dan........ Paint?
January 24, 2002 03:15PM
I don't have a clue what type of paint it is. I would assume the standard paint used by the snowmobile companies. A good automotive paint. And as I said, it seems to have a clear over it.
Re: Dan........ Paint?
January 24, 2002 05:10PM
come on now, its a snowmobile.....not a car...

turboman what's that mean???
January 24, 2002 07:02PM
turboman what's that mean??? In reference to what?

By the way, a sled goes for $4,000-$8,000 and many people have several.
Put that in perspective!
Some have more comforts than a car. It's serious @!#$ in the midwest.
Re: turboman what's that mean???
January 28, 2002 03:40PM
Sorry Lone wolf, I didn't mean anything offensive to snow-mobile owners. Just adding some humor to the board. I had a motor cycle once and had a love affair with it as well.

Dan
Re: turboman what's that mean???
January 28, 2002 04:41PM
How does it appear to have a clear over it? Is there a clear film peeling off over the color? You might need to polish these out with a machine.
Dan - turboman
January 30, 2002 11:24PM
No, problem Turbo....I was a little testy that day.

Dan, I think it has a clear? Not sure. I used some rubbing compound on it with a white cloth. I didn't get any black. This is how I'm guessing that it has a clear.

I figured that everyone would suggest using a machine. But remember that it's a snowmobile. No flat surfaces.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login