Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is this stuff????

Posted by turboman 
What is this stuff????
January 28, 2002 12:44PM
I had a guy come in the shop with a new Mustang and wanted me to apply a sealant his dealer gave him. He said his dealer told him that as long as he applied this stuff every 3 months or so he would never have to wax it. I know what you are thinking now, and I agree, nothing replaces a good wax. However after I put this stuff on it looked fantastic. The bottle really didn't say much other than defining the product as a paint cleaner and sealant. I wonder if it has wax in it? Do any of you know anything about this stuff that dealers give new car owners? I would be interested to know more about it....thanks........turboman

You hit the hammer on the head. It is just a pure sealant that the customer probaby had to pay around $150.00 along with the sticker price of the car. Or, maybe they threw it in to make you feel relax while you thought you were getting a better deal with the car.

This is a marketing clause & I wouldn't take it for anything more than that. If you purchased a sealant & you applied it, you would most likely see the same results that you just saw.

This isn't a marketing scam just a marketing tool that lures the customer in & also makes them feel better in the long run. Typical dealer issues still work with all customers.
Re: What is this stuff????
January 28, 2002 02:34PM
Todd, that brings me back to the question, how does a sealant differ in terms of protection with wax? Do they do the same thing? turboman

Dan
January 28, 2002 04:47PM
What Toddco said was true, I explain to customers almost daily about this same issue. For me, nothing is better than a good sealant, most clean-polish-protect in one application with an orbital. A polymer sealant has a melting point of about 392 degrees while a carnuaba wax melts around 140 degrees. I will use a wax after polishing if the customer wants to show the car at lets say pomona car show. But 99% of the time I use Klasse all in one or #20 Meguairs polymer sealant, I feel the customer is getting cheated with anything less. You own a car wash you say?
January 28, 2002 05:28PM
the dealer sealant around here is really good. it can be used in place of the wax, but to not keep it(the sealant) applied will void the warranty that the delarship gives with the product.
January 28, 2002 05:53PM
Dan, I don't own it, I just work part-time there. I don't want the headache of owning one. At this point in my life I want less stress not more. I enjoy detailing and I try to get repeat customers. I also target high end cars and owners. So you guys agree that a sealant is better than a wax?

January 29, 2002 12:23AM
Sealant is very good for protecting your paintwork if you dont bother to apply sealer/wax very often.Otherwise there is no sealant that will shine like a good wax.The gloss levels of sealant are actually quite lousey when compared with a wax.Some contain wax and sealant and these are a middle of the road road kind of thing where you get the best of both worlds.I would recommend using one with both in for a road vehicle.On a show car nothing will ever beat a pure wax for shine.

Red is the best!!
January 29, 2002 10:42PM
i don't know about LOUSY, but the wax does seem to provide much more of the deep,wet look. when in doubt, like john m says, just use both. two different products and sometimes two different results.
January 30, 2002 04:53AM
On the Question on how a sealant differs from a wax is a wax bonds to the paint and last 3 to 4 months. A sealant bonds much stronger to the paint more of a magnet type affect and creatates a film that magnitizes to the paint causing it to bond longer to the paint but i dont think it has that wax wet look so i to use both on my vehicles
January 30, 2002 02:16PM
can you give me any ideas what brand sealant would be a good one to use?I'd like to try it on my car and see how it works....thanks guys....tm

January 30, 2002 11:49PM
And let me ask, if using both? Do you wax and seal or seal and wax?
doesn't make sense to me either way. If the sealant doesn't give a good shine, waxing over it shouldn't make the sealant shine better. This seams to go back to the final results are as good as the prep. Then to counter, if you wax for a shine then cover with a sealant, you just lost the shine?

I'm totally confused!!!!

What combo works best, what wax and what sealant?

thanx
January 31, 2002 12:44AM
I dont use both as such.I use a product with wax and polymer sealant in in the winter when i only wax about every 3 months,that way i get a bit of both worlds.In summer when i wax nearly every week i use a pure wax for the deep wet look.

Red is the best!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login