Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rail dust ?

Posted by Lone Wolf 
Rail dust ?
January 30, 2002 11:38PM
I'm wondering what rail does to a paint job. Why and how it affects the paint.

I'm wondering if the pits in my fiberglass hood are from rail dust. The tracks are 100 ft from where the hood was stored.

Thanx
Dan
Re: Rail dust ?
January 31, 2002 01:17AM
More than likely the damage is from rail dust. Were there little rusty colored dots all over the paint? Do you remember the sample kit Ron sent you? Well, take out product "B" and a little piece of clay, spray product "B" onto the paint and clay the paint. Use product "c" after rinsing the B off. This will remove rail dust faster and more thorough than using clay alone. It will also minimize rubbing and rubbing abrasive clay over the finish. Let me know if you need more help. Later
January 31, 2002 10:27AM
I didn't know parking by railroad tracks damages paint! I am forced to do it every day!
January 31, 2002 05:27PM
i hope you don't have a white car!!!
January 31, 2002 07:26PM
I do have a white car! Just bought a 1991 white chevy truck. [www.geocities.com] I only park up there enough for one train to go by per day, is that still bad?
January 31, 2002 08:33PM
Unless I'm way off, rail dust can damage paint the same way water freezing in small cracks in the roadway can cause potholes. As the tiny iron particles rust, they expand in size. If they are imbedded in the paint when this happens, the paint COULD develop small cracks. And since the rust is already right there....

Your best bet is to do what Dan said, and since you are near RR tracks, wash FREQUENTLY, and KEEP a good coat of protective wax or sealant on your car.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Dan
February 01, 2002 12:36AM
Seriously, I was weary as hell of Ron Ketcham's products, I have to say, a lot of his stuff I dont like, but the products that work great are the best in their class that Ive found, also cost effective.
Dan
February 01, 2002 12:38AM
I forgot to say, make sure you wear some latex gloves while stripping the rail dust off with product B.
February 01, 2002 12:40AM
this stuff is most noticeable on white cars. just look for the rust colored specs. if you see them, then it is time to start researching the removal methods.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login