Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

my new project

Posted by turboman 
my new project
February 01, 2002 12:48PM
My neighbor has an old Volvo wagon that has faded bumpers/molding, the paint looks like a satin finish put on with a brush. flat as hell. it's basically an ugly duck....I ordered some stuff from proper auto care.com that is called "forever Black". it has dye in it so the theory is that unlike protectant and conditioners it changes the chemistry/color of the faded molding. Has anyone tried this product? also, if you have any ideas how to bring this dead car to life, I'd would appreciate it. I'm getting paid based on how I improve it. assuming that's possible. p.s. 2 MORE WEEKS TILL THE AUTO SHOW!!!! I CAN'T WAIT. I think they will be showing my GT Turbo Cruiser with 250 HP> turboman, get the connection?

Re: my new project
February 01, 2002 01:59PM
The forever black works very well & make sure you spend the extra minutes masking the surrounding areas so you don't do any staining on anything other than the molding.

As to the basic finish of the Volvo, just buff a small portion of the vehicle & see what you have. There's no need to waste your valuable time & have to charge the expense of doing some hard earned work if you're not going to be compensated for it.

You tell the customer that you intend on doing a very small portion of the vehicle, like the size of a grapefruit & see the results. If you don't see enough worthwhile results, STOP & do not go any further. It's not worth your time or the customers expense unless he or she has it to burn. Good Luck with your hard earned effort! Don't forget to Buckle UP!
February 01, 2002 04:09PM
what color(light or dark) and approx. what year is the car? i would do what toddco says, (a small spot)you may find that car to be a lot of work. the bumper treatment should look great. those bumpers are easy to do and soak that stuff right up. we always used the SEM products and they did fine also.
February 01, 2002 07:54PM
she light grey, about 10 years old........

February 02, 2002 03:49PM
the grey shouldn't be too bad. the paint really comes off these things and tends to saturate and stain your pads and rags. if it has been re-painted,of course, that is another story! the factory single stage is very durable.
Dan
February 02, 2002 06:42PM
I hate that!!! When your pads need to be cleaned after every 2 by 2 foot buffing! Im looking into those foam pads that top of the line offers with the "noodle style" foam sticking out, you know what Im talking about?
February 11, 2002 08:11AM
what do you guys use to black out the wheel wells
February 13, 2002 02:34AM
you also have to rember tha if i buffs out well that it might not neccessarly hold so u should probly inform the customer of that to prevent any problems good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login