Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Final Buffing

Posted by Dan 
Dan
Final Buffing
February 03, 2002 06:30AM
You all know Black cars are the most challenging finishes to buff. With that in mind, using your 1750 RPM buffer requires much practice on this type of finish. Compounding severe car washing scratches is no problem at this speed with intermediate knowledge, final polishing is another issue.

A while back someone mentioned that it takes literaly YEARS, to become an expert buffer, I agree with this 100% if you are doing final polishing at 1750 RPM, THAT IS A TALENT, by FAR, on a black vehicle, leaving no traces of buffer swirls on a clear black finish. Most detailers go at 1750 RPM for normal compounding, then drop their speed down to 1200 RPM for the final buff, you can be an expert doing this method, but beware of the one speed 1750 RPM buffer.

My advice would be to get a variable speed until you have the right touch to operate at 1750 (which in my opinion is the most efficent speed), I can do final buffing at 1750 on every color except black. The experts can final polish at 1750 everytime.

Just my thoughts
Re: Final Buffing
February 03, 2002 06:01PM
you can definitley get good results using the buffer on a slow setting and taking your time.
Re: Final Buffing
February 04, 2002 05:12AM
Dan has made an excellent point here with using the 1750 rpm rotary polishers. While using a adjustable rotary polisher, you can choose the speed that fits your polishing experience.

I have been using a Milwaukee rotary for many years. I had come from the body & paint industry. I was forced to learn the business & had adapted to the weight of the original rotary polishers at a very early age. Now I can flow with the body lines of a vehicle in a matter of minutes rather than hours.

Rotary polishers if used right, can be very helpful as an orbital will lack some of the aggresive measures that a rotary can tackle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login