Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beware of solvent dressings

Posted by Dan 
Dan
Beware of solvent dressings
February 04, 2002 05:42AM
You guys know of all the dressings out there today and they all claim to be the best. Beware of the solvent type dressings, these dressings will usually smell like, you guessed it, solvent, many tire dressings on the market will say on the bottle" good for rubber trim and molding too" however I do not advise using it for anything else other than tire dressing, becuase what happends is not only does the trim (within weeks) turn white, but after repeated use and after a year or so, the trim will get fisheyes, at this point the solvent has penetrated and is eating away at the rubber.

It is unfortunate since the solvent type dressings tend to be easier to work with, less streaks, shinier, lasts longer, etc.. One should always stick with a good water based dressing such as Vinylex, armorall, or any other water based dressing.

Lately, I havent been satisfied with the longevity of vinylex on my exterior trim, another succesful detailer buddy of mine mentioned the use of Meguairs endurance on trim, I laughed and didnt try it for weeks after he told me about it, then he mentioned it again, and again I laughed! WOW, this stuff out lasts all trim dressings surely.

Just my thoughts
Thanks for the tip. I stopped testing it via for dressing the tires & Meguiars had sent me a check for the purchase. I'll start trying it strickly on the trim panel pieces along with any other hard plastic items.
Re: Beware of solvent dressings
February 04, 2002 12:14PM
DON'T FORGET TO ADD THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO USE ANY RAG WITH THIS MATERIAL ON IT TO CLEAN OFF ANYTHING UNDER THE HOOD!

Dan
February 05, 2002 05:11AM
YES, YOUR RIGHT, IT WILL TURN ALL HOSES WHITE ALSO, DID YOU KNOW THAT USING CAPITAL LETTERS, IS CONSIDERED, yelling at the top of your lungs!LOL!
February 05, 2002 12:32PM
no i didn't, whats the penality. ???do i have to detail a minivan with spilled milk (frozen) on the floor, 2lbs of fries under the seat, and pet hair everywhere?

Dan
February 06, 2002 12:17AM
Ive done those kinds of cars, I dont like to do them, but every once in a while you have to, just to test yourself, so you can say, DAMN, Im good!LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login