Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

touch up paint

Posted by Benjamin Chiang 
touch up paint
February 04, 2002 03:11PM
does anyone know the best way to apply touch up paint?
i have some deep, thin scratches about 6 inches long...
pretty much can only see the white layer underneath the paint and
not bare metal yet....i was thinking of applying just multiple coats of
touch up paint and then polishing with bluemagic metal polish
to smooth it out...good idea or bad?
thanks in advance!
Re: touch up paint
February 04, 2002 04:45PM
General rule...Bad idea...first of all scratches if they are light enough MIGHT come out after polishing, if they are too deep, you will only make it look worse using a touch up as you put it. The touch up paint sold by car dealers comes with a brush that will put on twenty times the amount of paint needed. that's only the first problem. It will be an eye soar. been there done that. I did read in Don Taylors Auto Detailing book about a process that some one came up with using a kit. I haven't tried it, It would be better for chips way, not scratches I assume

February 04, 2002 06:23PM
thanks for the tip,
i also found something...forgot the link...
regarding thin scratches...
the site suggested using a toothpick to dip
into the touchup paint and then just sticking
the toothpick into the scratch allowing capillary action
to draw the paint into the scratch and fill it...
might try that later...after polishing off the globs of
touch up paint i have now that i applied with the brush...haha...
otherwise, i suppose a flow pen would be ideal? smiling smiley
February 04, 2002 07:03PM
Hi everyone.

This is not an endorsment or recommendation.

This is a further question and observation on paint chip / scratch repair products.

Some time ago while researching paint repair options the site [www.langka.com] was suggested to me.

This product is suposed to provide workablility to the scratch repair paint leaving it
" levelable" after the repair.

Has anyone tried it or had any experience with it or similar products. Did it work or not. I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts and experieinces on them.

Its a great claim to fame but I must admit I did not bite... so I have not tried the product myself.

Your comments and thoughts as always are most appreciated
February 04, 2002 09:49PM
if the touch up paint is going to apply too much paint, what about sprays. i recently ran across a whole wall of "auto paints", like spay paint for cars i guess in autozone....opinions on use of these products?
thanks
Steven
February 05, 2002 12:56PM
Think about this for a minute, take a can of touch up spray paint. point it at something you don't care about. press the trigger as quick as you can. now take a look at how much paint you just applied. consider that BEFORE you spray it on something you care about. spray cans for a jobs a little bigger than a small chip or scratch......the above web site that s10 guy posted is the one I was refering to. I haven't tried it but I read about the process and theory, it makes sense......langka it the company, tm

February 08, 2002 05:02AM
break off the tip of a needle,and put the paint in the syringe,make sure u suck back out any excess paint using the syringe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login