Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

paint mist on finish

Posted by William Alexander 
paint mist on finish
February 05, 2002 11:20PM
My son painted his Civic with a urethane paint (black metallic). The finish came out pretty good and does not have a clear coat applied. A few days later he was painting something else in the garage and some of paint mist settled on the car (same paint) . Now the finish looks a little dull in some places. Can anyone tell me how to make the finish shine again? I tried a little rubbing compound by hand with no luck. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.
Re: paint mist on finish
February 06, 2002 02:04PM
I would contact a body shop on that. Why didn't he spray a clear over it?

February 07, 2002 12:21AM
This was our first attempt at spraying auto paint. The guy at the paint store said that urethane paint was the easiest to apply and didn't need a clear coat. He said we could always add clearcoat later, which we still may do if we can get the finish looking good.
Dan
February 07, 2002 12:38AM
I dont know how well you applied that paint, sometimes you get chipped paint right away, did you color sand and buff? While buffing you should feed your single stage paint with a pure polish such as meguairs #7, after you shoot your clear coat, the #7 is a waste of time to use because it is high in mineral spirits( which evaporate in one day) also it is not intended to feed what the clear coat is, which is mostly polyurethane. Look into another polish after you shoot the clear. Good luck, and we really need more info on your situation. We will be glad to help so please elaborate. Later
February 07, 2002 12:55AM
No, I have not done anything to the finish. The paint job is only a week old. I wanted to let it cure for awhile before doing any polishing or buffing. Pardon my ignorance, but what is color sanding ? I really appreciate any advice.
February 07, 2002 04:19PM
if it is overspray, try the clay bar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login