Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

getting started

Posted by Edwin T. Woodruff 
getting started
September 10, 2003 11:14PM
<HTML>Hello,

I have always wanted to start a mobile detailing business, and now I will have the time and money to try. I am moving to Houston soon and I have been looking around online trying to find out the best way to learn about the detailing process and the business. I see that there are courses you can order that explain everything and also video courses that show you. I know that the best way to learn is hands on, but as a first step I always like to read as much as I can before I physically try something. Does anyone have any suggestions to both phases, the reading and the learning?

Just reading this forum has taught me quite a bit on definitions.

Also, I am wanting to start slow and part time when I am confident about actually starting.

Thanks for your time and I would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions on anything.

Ed</HTML>
Re: getting started
September 11, 2003 02:37AM
<HTML>I just ordered the business package from Detail King (www.detailking.com) and it comes with all the promotional samples you'll need. Also you are entitled to phone consultations and they really help with anything you need.</HTML>
September 11, 2003 02:54AM
<HTML>Thanks Brent,

I'll check them out.

Ed</HTML>
September 11, 2003 03:07AM
<HTML>Edwin. From a personal point of view I would take a different route.

Start by getting some part time work in a detail shop , learn from a pro and develop your technique that way. I am not going to criticize the course as I have never been on one. I just think you cant really learn everything you need to know in one week.

Also , some of these package deals are not all they are cracked up to be . Write a list of everything you will truly need to do a good job. Shop around and you will see that you can get probably as much as, if not more, for your money than you can in a package.

Good luck in your venture.

Jim.</HTML>
September 11, 2003 01:05PM
<HTML>Hi,
Well, I own several traditional businesses now and had time on my hands due to the systems I have set up so I decided to start a Detailing business. I of course read as much as possible but took action by starting. I got numerous clients from posting flyers, business cards etc but one of the most result producing activities was offering business owners a 20.00 referral bonus for clients who booked with me. Business cards coded on back.
I either went to their home to detail or took it to my residence and did the job. Now, the most interesting thing was this. I never detailed a car in my life but I did buy the best materials, took my time and delivered a "detailed" result to which every client was excited about. So much so I even got referrals from them. As I continue to practice and learn I get faster and better. The secret? Be excited, do it right,ask for referrals and in the beginning take your time.
I use to own 6 restaurants and I can tell you the customers who ate there ALWAYS ate with their eyes first and so it will be with your finished detailing job. It MUST look delicious. After that it's a piece of cake. Pun intended!
I am also a certified empowerment coach and I tell people nothing happens without applied action. Get out there!
Shine on,
Jay</HTML>
September 12, 2003 02:08AM
<HTML>Jay, NEVER DETAILED A CAR IN MY LIFE>>>>> What kind of C.... is that. Why are you posting and giving advice on a sight that is for detailers???????? Perhaps you should go to work for Bud...... It seems like both of you only have one thing on your mind.......SALES and Self Gratification. Good Luck in your detailing business!!!!!!!! Have a great day smiling smiley)))). THis site used to be fantastic ...now it Su-------s. If anyone is truly interested in learning something about detailing I would suggest they move on and find a sight that is not all sales and BS. I am truly sorry for feeling this way but I have NEVER seen a"great sight" go from THE BEST to S---t in six months. Absolutely amazing.</HTML>
September 13, 2003 03:18AM
<HTML>Great post Jay. We are new to the business too! As we move forward and can contribute more..we'll post more. One thing I can say is true along with Joe. You will get a better deal if you shop around with your list of needed items. We looked at packages too and found SEARS to be the cheapest in our area. So, shop around.</HTML>

Mattis
permit
September 26, 2003 05:03AM
<HTML>yeah i wanted to know were to get a business permit for a auto detail business but i want to get a permit for more than just one city so if anybody know were i can get it tell me

danny85
thanx ahead of time</HTML>
Re: permit
September 28, 2003 01:51PM
<HTML>You get the occupational license at the county occupational office. They should be listed in the white pages under your county's name the occupational license. It is simple you go fill a sheet out takes about 2 minutes, name of company, your name, address, mailing address and $45 bucks. Then go to any local news paper and file a ficticiuos name in the paper $25 this says that you Joe Smith is doing business as Detail King and if anyone has this name or concerns please come forward "never happens". Your are all set you are now in business. You can do this in the other neighboring counties if you want. After doing the newspaper thing they will send you a clipping when it is done and it only has to be done once. I get the county license and then get the city where you are fisacly located, your house or what ever. The city is anal and some times give you a hard time on the location if you just use your house to store your trailer so this may take an hour or two of your time bullshitting with them. Well get the county then city then just the neighboring counties not cities and you should be set.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login