Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

buying a series1

Posted by martin ford 
buying a series1
November 04, 2002 11:48PM
I have been offered a '65 roadster.

Apparently from a good and loving home but realy a pile of bits, most of which have been restored!

All the numbers match and it's described as a 3.8. But how do I tell?

Anyone know the vin number for the change point?

Also, what exactly is a series 1.5?

I must have read dozens of magazine articles about E type restoration over the years but when you want it.......................
<b>Re: buying a series1</b>
November 06, 2002 07:38AM
<HTML>By 1965 E-Types came with the 4.2 liter motor, a change that appeared with the 1964 model. The two engines are visually similar. Did yours have an engine change?

The Series 1.5 E-Type refers to 1968 models. The designation was popularly adopted and reflected the fact that the 1968 model year saw numerous changes during production. The factory considers all 1968 E-Types to be series 2 cars.

-Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
Re: buying a series1
November 06, 2002 10:51PM
Car is on a 'C' plate. Tub restored and in primer, engine out but looks immaculate.

Haven't seen documents yet but is claimed to be a '64 car that was in a showroom unregistered for almost a year.

Most sources say a 3.8 car is worth more than a 4.2, all else equal.

Is there an engine number change point or any other identifying mark that separates a 3.8 from a 4.2?

Hope to get more gen from NEC this weekend.

But I think i've made my mind up!..................Owning a Jag at least once in your life should be a birthright!!!
<b>Re: buying a series1</b>
November 07, 2002 02:41AM
<HTML>What is a "C" plate?

How far apart is the car? I've had bad experiences with "basket cases", where all the parts are in boxes. Often a large number of parts are missing. The price would have to be super, IMHO.

Your sources are correct, a 3.8 liter car is worth a bit more. Some feel that the smaller engine revved better, but I can't say. One big problem is that the transmission is not desireable; non synchro first gear and a heavy reluctant shifting characteristics. Some put a later transmission in and keep the old one for resale purposes.

>>Is there an engine number change point or any other identifying mark that separates a 3.8 from a 4.2?

I looked in Philip Porter's "Original Jaguar E-Type" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1870979125/webcars/102-1694071-4515355) and he did not say anything specific about the 3.8 vs. 4.2 engine appearance. The cylinder spacing changed, but that would seem to be hard to detect with the engine intact. They did list a change in the body numbers for the carburettors. What is the chassis umber of the car?

>>But I think i've made my mind up!..................Owning a Jag at least once in your life should be a birthright!!!

I see your point. But do your homework and look carefully, as you seem to be doing.

-Paul</HTML>
Re: buying a series1
November 24, 2002 10:29PM
Check the commission plate or front subframe by the upper right hand shock mount for vin #. 3.8's start with a 8 and 4.2's start with 1E. Engine # is above oil filter housing and on cylinder head above first spark plug, 3.8's start with R or RA and 4.2's start with 7E.
Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login