Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best year GTO

Posted by mark schrader 
Best year GTO
June 25, 2003 12:36AM
I'm looking at buying my first GTO for a restoration project. I narrowed it down to either a 68,69, 0r 70 convertible. I was wondering if anyone else had a preference and why ? Also what condition car do you think I can get for under $10,000.
Re: Best year GTO
June 25, 2003 02:29AM
I am a big fan of the 70. I think the body lines, and the nose make the car a sexy machine. I like the 69 as well, but not as well as the 70. As for the 68, I am not in love with that car. In my oppinion it is a 69 without the refinements. If you plan on spending arround the $10,000 mark, you should be able to get a pretty good project. At least one that is complete and intact. For that kind of money, I would look long and hard to find a car that is not going to require a lot of "replacement" of removed originall parts or options. That just drives the cost of restoration up. I paid $4000 for my 70 Judge 3 years ago, and let me tell you, the replacement stuff has been not only costly, but at times hard to find. But keeping in mind that it documented before I bought it as a 70 Judge with 22 factory options, so I still think it was a decent buy.

So a 70 it is. Now start the search!smiling smiley

70 Judge in the works!
June 25, 2003 06:09AM
NICE! Me i like the 68 I like the body shape also first year of new body style. I also like the 6.5 liter on the frt lower fenders..also I like the GTO on the rear gtr then the 69,be'ing on the frt lower fender (same place as gto 6.5 ltr )intr is alot better looking gto 6.5 ltr emb on door panels,,68-69 almost the same but not in love with 69 and the 70 looks to much like a fire chicken,, but that's just me,,around here I see more 69s and 70 not alot of 68s.. at the $$ you have to spend U should be able to get a real nice restorable project... but my choice is the 400 motor not the 350 some conv had factory, i seen a 68 gto conv,this week end at the yakima car show hot summer nights in washington, he was asking $8500,00 obo. verdoro green w/ivy gold int, ys400w/ turbo 400 his & hers .matching #s lite rust under chrome wheel well moulding very clean trunk 2nd owner 78,000 miles.so just have to keep an eye out P.S if looking to get more for the money wait untill fall..summer's gone getting cold... car price's drop....Always see deals around christmas,, and before.. In the north east. If not sure what to buy and its for a investment.look at the years built get the least built year
I HAVE A 68 GTO HO/RAM-AIR ALL #S MATCHING w/ factory A/C..Turbo 400 his & hers posi rear end and alot of options I replaced the 400 w/a chevy 383.not alot of people hear want to hear that ... Also look on the west coast not as much rust up hear in the north west we dont use salt but the salty air and moss can hurt.I see alot of 68 & 69 conv's in cali

travis williams
June 25, 2003 03:19PM
I like my 68 and so do the people that yell and whistle when I drive it through town. All of the other years are good too. Im not really saying one is better than the other. Whichever one you like best, go for it. 10,000 should get you a pretty nice car with some minor stuff to do. Good luck in your search...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login