Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DISTRIBUTER

Posted by HERB MIDDLESTADT 
DISTRIBUTER
October 24, 2003 02:00PM
I HAVE A 1972 GTO WITH A 72 PONTIAC 350.I GOT THE CAR ABOUT A YEAR AGO.SINCE THEN I HAVE PUT ON HEADERS, HOLLEY 4 BARREL CARB, AND NEW PLUGS AND WIRES. SINCE I'VE ADDED THIS THINGS I HAVE FOUND A PROBLEM. WHEN I AM DRIVING AND I LET OFF OF THE GAS I GET A POPPING SOUND OUT OF THE DRIVERS SIDE EXSHAUST ONLY. IV'E ADJUSTED THE CARB CHECKED THE PLUGS AND WIRES AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE OKAY.WHEN I PUT THE NEW WIRES ON I USED THE PLACEMENT OF THE OLD ONES AS A GUIDE AND I THINK THAT THEY MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG. I'VE GOT THE FIRING ORDER BUT CANNOT SEEM TO FIND THE POSITIONING OF THE WIRES ON THE DISTRIBUTER OR THE WETHER THEY GO CLOCKWISE OR COUNTER CLOCKWISE?DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS OR ANY INFOMATION THAT MAY HELP?
Re: DISTRIBUTER
October 26, 2003 08:57PM

Herb,

ok here it is short and sweet

firing order : 1 , 8 , 4 , 3 , 6 , 5 , 7 , 2

right bank is even and left bank is odd

spark plug gap should be .035

dist. rotation is: counter clockwise

30 degrees dwell

points contact gap should be @ .019

base timing should be around 2 degrees B.T.C @ 600 rpm with a 2 bbl carb
and 12 degrees with a 4 bbl, you might have tp find a happy medium in between those ranges i always set mine by hearing it. or you can keep advancing it a few degrees at a time untill its hard to start then back it off a degree or two untill it just barely stumbles or i should say hesitate then fire right off when you try to start it

these are settings for a stock 350, i dont know what mods you have made other than what you have stated but the off throttle popping could be an overly rich condition or the timing can be off too or you could have a combination of both hope this helps some anyways. good luck

John
November 23, 2003 12:51AM
I'm helping a freind with his timing gear and chain on a 1969 350 . do the timing gear marks both go to top? Or does the top one point down and the bottom point up. Like a chevy does. Please help before I put it back together .
November 23, 2003 12:57AM
John, Does timing marks on the gears both go to top or do they line up like a chevy. one up and one down.
Clarence
November 23, 2003 05:01AM

Hey Clarence, its just like the chevy both dots point to each other!!

john
Re: DISTRIBUToR
November 27, 2003 05:47AM
man,now i know why my timings off....i set it to 12 Before,not 2...crapola..
it was sucking gas like it had never been fed before,till i did that.
still pops back a bit while running down the road when you let off the gas tho...
i have a 71 with a 2 bbl,and heres another thing that bothers me too.
theres no port off the carb that isnt constant vacuum...Why not??
with it plugged into the rear carb line,and the door open in the cap,you can watch the points go back and forth,as the motor idles..not cool at all.
it lopes like it has a cam,but theres no intake leaks that i can see,or hear..
plugs are clean,points are blue streaks,wires are 8 mm and new cap rotor too..also blue streaks.
so,where do i plug the vacuum advance from the distributor into?
currently running no vacuum advance,because of this.
please advise,and thanx..

also,i got a used pontiac HEI,but the guy i got it from said the gear on the bottom is trashed..which it sure is..where do i find just the bottom gear?
i already tried looking at my points distributor gear,but the pin/bushing hole is much smaller.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

one mans junk,is another mans treasure
Disc Brakes
November 27, 2003 05:51AM
while im thinking about it,i have a friend with a transam for parts,78-9..it has the power booster,rotors,calipers,proportioning valve,lines,and spindles..
will ANY of this stuff fit into my 71 lemans?
if not,what do i need?
chevelles and skylarks are just not available from around here.
(southern New York state)
i NEED power disc brakes,these drums just are`nt getting it!
thanx again,Rob

one mans junk,is another mans treasure
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login