Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Carberation

Posted by Lance Q 
Carberation
December 18, 2003 08:40AM
I am going to need to build my Q Jet soon and to have it done is going to be $250. Is it worth rebuilding or should i buy a new carb. What type of carb would any of you recomend? I have a 400 Ram Air 3 with a 4 speed and cast iron intake. Lance Q
Re: Carberation
December 18, 2003 06:29PM
stick with your stock carb and have it professionally rebuilt. When I set engine combination for customer I recommend the quadrajet unless it's a full time track car.

December 18, 2003 10:52PM
On a stock or nearly stock 400 the calculations work out to a 650 being big enough at average RPM ranges. I have run a Holley 650 double pumper on a 400 with good results, but I would recommend vac. secondaries for gas mileage and dirveability. I have a 455 that is currently running an Edelbrock EPS 800cfm and it's a little on the rich side. You could run a 750 with no problem on a 400, but you may have to re-meter the idle circuit and decrease the jet sizes. I can get you the formulas used to show the volume that is used at any RPM for a 400ci.

The Goat Doctor
December 20, 2003 09:12PM
Lance Q,

If you do decide to switch to an Edelbrock, I would be interested in buying your original carb. My ram air III is missing it's carb. Thanks.

Tim Smolinski
nvigroup@cox.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login