Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1970 Pontiac Gto tire ?...please help

Posted by Sean Milligan 
1970 Pontiac Gto tire ?...please help
July 01, 2005 04:59PM
Hi, little background first since this is my first post. Bought my 70 goat about 3 years ago and havent really done much to it since because of money situation. I just recently in the past few weeeks pulled it out of the garage and am now to the point to start on it. First thing i would like is some new tires, and that leads me to my question. I am looking at putting 245/60/r15 on the front and i would like 295/50/r15 in the rear. The rear measure 26.9 inch diameter. I am planning on adding those air lift load assit sacs you put in the rear coil to added some lift to the rear of the car. I hear air shocks kill your traction. Also if anyone has a backspacing recommendation that would really help to.

Any advice that could help me please share, thanks in advance

1970 GTO
Re: 1970 Pontiac Gto tire ?...please help
July 07, 2005 05:24PM
Sean
See if these guys can answer your tire and wheel question. Go to this website, [ultimategto.com] and start looking at any of the 52 pages of 1970 GTO pictures. Mosts of the photos have the owners email address attached. So find a picuture that looks like your tire/wheel combo and email that person with your question, especially about the backspacing. Better to take a wheel measurement from an actual car than to guess, especially with the price of wheels today!

Go price air-lift bags versus air shocks and tell me you don't end up buying the shocks to raise the rear of the car ;-}. Your car weighs almost 300lbs more than a Chevelle SS. Most of that additonal weight is carried on the front wheels, so the rear axle is already too light. Raising the rear only shifts more weight forward causing even less rear traction under acceleration. The under-steer was bad enough with the body at stock height, so I would reeeally hesitate raising the rear of car to gain wider tires. I would call the tech desk at [www.amesperf.com], and get their recommendation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login