Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Engine Codes

Posted by Fred Rose 
Engine Codes
December 31, 2002 09:52PM
Looking and buy 1971 GTO 455 HO 4 Speed.
Engine Code # does not match. Should have been WC buy is YE. Understand that is 455 HO with automatic. Only made 439 Goats Auto with 455.

Did Pontiac use this YE Code on other 455 cu engines? How do I know if present engine in body is a from a GTO with 310 net horses? Need answer ASAP as have not
made bid on car.

Onwer asking $12,500 95% restored. Has PB,PS & AC but compressor is missing. Also missing radiator oveflow container, windshield washer jets, hoses, container, Dome light lens, rear and passenger seat belts. center dash ash try.

Suggestions on what would be reasonable bid would be appreciated.

Want to make bid by Thurs or Friday 1/2/3
Re: Engine Codes
January 02, 2003 02:28PM
hello; pontiac definately used the YC code on other pontiac models. This is the 455 4bl, //325hp., 1971 engine.This engine could be from a firebird ,Lemans, Tempest,Grand Prix etc., As for $ wise ,, if it is a Original HO 455 car @ the current owner can provide Documention from a build sheet then it comes down to the fact it is not equipped with the #s matching engine @ also it is a YC code block so this definately takes away from car. What someone is willing to actually pay for it basically tells you @ the seller what it is worth. You MUST see the car first to check the body, floors, frame, trunk floor, rad support etc., for rust # weak spots.It is also a MUST to see it on a Hoist to check it over from front to back . Drive it also to be sure it Tracks properly down the road and be sure the engine & trans are real strong!! I never would buy site unseen!! Has to be your call!! GOOD LUCK
January 02, 2003 07:20PM
CORRECTION; THE YE CODE WAS MISTAKEN FOR YC. "SORRY"!! ALL OF THE ABOVE IS CORRECT I SENT YOU EXCEPT YE IS THE 455 ho //335 HP. AUTO @ WC IS THE HO 335HP.,4 SPEED AS YOU DESCRIBED.. YC IS THE 455 4BL,325 HP., & THERE WAS NOT A 310 HP., THAT YEAR IN THE 455 ENGINE!! MOST LIKELY YEARS AGO THE BLOCK WAS DESTROYED OR CRACKED & REPLACED WITH THE SAME BUT WAS OUT OF AN AUTOMATIC HO CAR!! I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT LET THIS BOTHER ME BUT A DIE HARD COLLECTOR WOULD FROWN AT THIS ! HOPE THIS HELPS & DOES NOT CONFUSE YOU.
January 11, 2003 03:16PM
You can learn all you want about engine codes and serial numbers at Year One's web site.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login