Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1974 GTO ?

Posted by Vince Putt 
1974 GTO ?
March 19, 2003 10:45PM
Hi, I'm new here. I just closed a deal on a 73 Nova Hatchback. I had one brand new when I was a young kid I promised my folks I could pay for it and they helped me acquire it. I wanted a 74 GTO but I couldn't find a dealer in the area I lived that would deal with me so I ended up buying the Nova. Unfortunately the car ended in a ugly crash when I was working two jobs to pay for it and fell asleep, hit a pole and rolled it several times.

I'd like to build a GTO Clone. Can anybody send me to a site that can rattle my brains to fill me in on what all I need to change interior wise to get it factory correct. I know the entire front clip will have to be replaced and the rear tail panel as far as the body goes. I bought the car with a 350 chevy motor and 4 speed, Can a 455 be bolted in and what would be involved. If I'm going to build a clone I may as well build it like pontiac should have right. smiling smiley

Can anybody point me to the parts I'd need for the conversion parts I need.

Thanks in advance
I'm getting a second chance for one of my dream cars.
Vince Putt
Re: 1974 GTO ?
March 23, 2003 04:13AM
Vince -

In addition to what you already know, you will need the GTO interior door badges. GTO also offered a "fish scale" dash, around the speedo, but also had woodgrain. Interior-ise, that is about it.

You can add the speedo with tach & clock, but was only optional. You would then need the console gauge package.

Exterior, ENTIRE front clips from the Omega, Apollo and Ventura will work. The GTO grilles may be a bit hard to locate, as they are different than the Ventura, the GTO has the fog lights in them, Ventura does not.

Then you have the functional shaker & hood to consider, again a bit tough to find, but possible.

A Poncho 455 will bolt in, as the 305, 350, 400 & 455 are the same block size (not bore, but actual exterior look). You will need a trans from a buick pontiac or olds as the bellhousing is different than that of a Chevy.

There is currently a 74 GTO builder for sale out on E-bay that may interest you...then you would have the real mckoy!

Good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login