Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Auto to 4 speed conversion?

Posted by Michael Panasuik 
Auto to 4 speed conversion?
April 02, 2003 06:28PM
I am going to look at a GTO with a auto. Any thoughts about the cost of a conversion? The only reason I am thinking along these lines is the car is nice and the price right. Thank you.

Michael
Re: Auto to 4 speed conversion?
April 09, 2003 04:06AM
Anybody........................

Michael
April 09, 2003 02:44PM
I have considered switching my 66 GTO from an auto to a 4 speed.
Ofcourse you will need all of the parts...trans, bellhousing, flywheel, shifter, clutch fork, clutch, the clutch and break pedals, a 4 speed yoke for the driveshaft, z-bar and all of its components.
You will have to cut a hole in the floor of your car for the shifter.
I think the biggest pain in the ass is getting the z-bar bracket welded to the frame. You will need to remove the hood,drivers fender and inner wheel well to do this.

It would definately be best if you could purchase a complete 4 speed setup from someone that is parting out a 4 speed car.
Im still considering doing this switch on my car but not until next winter because spring is here and I want to drive my car and not have it in pieces in my garage all summer.

Hope this info is helpfull for you!
Mike
JVP
May 01, 2003 06:11PM
I have a 1971 Lemans on which I performed an Auto to 4 speed swap. It actually wasn't too bad.

However I was lucky enough to find a guy who was selling all the parts from pedals to bell housing. I got:

3 Pedal assembly
z-bar and other clutch linkage rods
bell housing
clutch fork
Hurst 4 speed shifter
Floor Drive tunnel shifter plate

I bought:
centerfource flywheel and clutch, which I highly recommend (summitracing)
M20 trans
return spring set

I picked up thean M20 at a swap meet, for about $200. Although this was a couple years back. The driveshaft did not have to be modified, and the frame z-bar mount was already there so all I had to do what bolt everything on. Ames Performance and YearOne have a lot of the necessary parts too, but they can be a little expensive.

One other note:
I'm running a 400 with 4 pipe headmen headers, clearance on the z bar is close but it works.
May 09, 2003 06:24PM
Hello "eligarf",
I am putting a 350 Pontiac motor and 4 speed from my 70 Firebird into a 67 Tempest. You did not include the "shifter porch" on your list of items for the conversion. (the steel mounting bracket that the shifter attaches to) Do you know if I will need one? or, can I just mount the shifter boot to the hump, like was on the Firebird?
Thanks.
May 09, 2003 08:16PM
Lee
Im not familure with Firebirds.
I know that in a 66 or 67 GTO, LeMans or Tempest you will need the "shifter Porch" or its also called a "Tunnel Plate"
You will need to cut a hole in your floor for the shifter to fit through.
Year One sells the Tunnel Plate for $39.00
I think its www.yearone.com

Hope this helps
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login