Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which mufflers for '69 GTO?

Posted by Adam Windeler 
Which mufflers for '69 GTO?
April 16, 2003 02:57AM
I have a stock '69 GTO with a 400 cid, TH400 combo.
I need to replace the generic turbo mufflers, and wondered if anyone had strong muffler recommendations.

A good friend of mine strongly suggests the DynoMax muffler, but they offer basically 3 ranges: Cheap ($18 ea.), MidRange ($50-$60 ea.) and Fugettaboutit ($120ish).

I have dual exhaust, no resonators, the stock exh manifolds, and 2-1/2" pipes (I think). I will probably add an h-pipe very soon to 'improve the sound' and help performance a little.

I'm really particular about 3000 RPM tone in the car - I'd like the sound to 'throaty', yet quiet enough to make long cruises with the wife and kids tolerable. I know - to make cruising tolerable, leave the wife and kids at home!

But seriously - what would you suggest?

-Adam
'69 GTO
Re: Which mufflers for '69 GTO?
April 30, 2003 02:51AM
Hi Adam
I have a 67 and recently had flowmasters put on. Not the two chamber. The ones I have are throaty but you don't have to blast the radio at cruising speed. I had them done at a local Meinike and they ran around a duece installed.
Dennis
May 02, 2003 10:41PM
I purchase a CD from performance pontiac with sound's of most of your muffler suppliers on this CD ---The name of the CD is Silent Power---This $10.00 investment is much cheaper than changing muffler's
May 03, 2003 02:38AM
i have the same thing, 69 with a 400 and a auto, i just finished putting on a dual 2.5" exhaust system with x-over and SPINTECH mufflers. These mufflers are mean. it ideals real mello but it sounds unreal when you rev it. When accelerating the mufflers sound like it is open headed, they dont drone like flowmaseters. go to spintechmufflers.com they have a video of a 70 gtx(only video of a old muscle car so you will get the point)

ps the mufflers are built like metal bricks, hand welded, high quality, i love them.
May 03, 2003 10:53PM
Thanks, everyone. I've been getting your responses. I think I'll buy that CD and decide what to get. I'm going to balance the sound vs. the restriction - the ad for the Silent Power CD claims they have data from a flow bench on some/all their mufflers.

-Adam

-Adam
'69 GTO
November 11, 2010 05:46AM

I purchase a CD from performance pontiac with sound's of most of your Muffler suppliers on this CD ---The name of the CD is Silent Power---This $10.00 investment is much cheaper than changing muffler's

Changing mufflers can be costly indeed. This is true if you don't know where to look. Yet there are a lot of reliable sources out there that can provide high-quality mufflers without the high price tag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login