Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Aftermarket Carb for 73 GTO

Posted by Jim Rougeux 
Aftermarket Carb for 73 GTO
May 12, 2003 10:22PM
I was wondering if anyone had an idea what would be a good choice for
an aftermarket carb- Holley/Edelbrock, as I am in need of a carb for this car.
the engine is a 455 and has been totally rebuilt. .72 duration Competition cam
as well as Comp cam roller rockers. Heads have a mild port polish and am running
headers and flowmasters. I don't have an original carb so I need to make a decision on what to do. I believe the original carb had a manual choke?!? But I'm not exactly positive. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!
Re: Aftermarket Carb for 73 GTO
May 13, 2003 05:15PM
Well you can do what I did, if you are interested in a stock look. As well as basic stock setup. Holley has a line of rebuilt Quadrajet carberators that look, and act just like an NOS carb. I have one on my Judge. And it works flawlessly. The others will do OK. But you must also keep in mind the bore on the carb as opposed to the intake. If you are useing a stock intake it would require a spread bore carb. Some aftermarket (not all) carbs are a square bore. Which would mean that you would have to replace the intake for it to work. I myself have had no problems running a Quadrajet carb. So that is what I would suggest. I had a Eldelbrock carb on a 70 Nova (which was a square bore). And while it was OK. I wasn't all together impressed with its performance. But man did it look good. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. High performance, or a stock look with great performance as well. Good luck.

70 Judge in the works!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login