Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

66 GTO

Posted by Adam Floyd 
66 GTO
May 14, 2003 09:59AM
I have just recently norrowed my muscle car search down to a 66 gto , read all the books and can't wait to get one. I have restored old cars before and have been to hundreds of street rod shows, but never muscle car shows. Who can help me understand the difference between buying a junker, and investing $35,000.00 or buying a car for $40,000.00. That is the way it works with street rods, alot of wives get in the way and force the sellers(if you know what I mean) thanks in advance.
Re: 66 GTO
May 14, 2003 12:39PM
If you've restored old cars, but still don't understand that difference, you're doing something wrong. You have to want to do it. More than the money, it's the time, blood, sweat, and tears that go into the car. That's real ownership. Knowing every bolt, have cursed most of them, and left skin on a bunch of them.

Also, unless you're not doing any of the work yourself, $35,000 is way too much to spend restoring something.
May 14, 2003 10:44PM
I totally agree with you and driving someone elses car doesn't do alot for me, I like to be able to take credit for the car. but my point was there are so many gto's out there, there will always seem to be a better one and I don't want to change anything to take away from the stock aspect, I had a 51 f150, I chopped the top put a 5ltr mustang in it and extended the cab, I loved the fact that it was original, that is my only point that you don't want to go and change a 66 GTO, thanks for responding
May 16, 2003 05:26AM
Congratulations on your taste, i believe the year 66 is the best for GTO, i have just finished a 2 1/2 year - $20,000 restoration on my 66 GTO. It is a car very worthy of the effort to restore to exact original condition, it is an important piece of history that is only defaced by any modifications. If you want to restore your 66 GTO, try to buy a numbers matching and unmolested car to begin with, then go to PONTIAC HISTORICAL SERVICES and get your documentation and window sticker, follow it to the "T". I would insist on a 4 speed manual transmission, unless it is a convertible. There are several catalogs you need to order, i like AMES because they are honest about the fit and finish of their parts. If you aren't into bias ply tires, hubcaps and drum brakes, then maybe making a hot rod GTO lookalike out of a lemans is your direction, but the time and money is better spent doing a GTO correctly. Please let us know when you make your choice, we will be waiting for you at the next green light.
May 26, 2003 02:48PM
To each there own. I've restored a 66 GTO for a friend of mine, and it was quite a painstaking ordeal. The time and money he had in finding all the correct parts (motor, transmission, rearend) to make it a numbers correct car was something else. I love these cars as much as anybody else. I come from a family where my dad has had 3 66's my brother has had 1 and I myself have owned 3 and currently own a 66. I build mine the way I want them. I defintly do not take anything away from the appearence of the car(inside or out) but Ialso dont spend big money on trying to make them all original. These cars were built to drive with no holds barred, and thats just what I do with them, but to each their own. I do not look down on the guys who take the painstaking effort to restore their car back to original condition, because without these type of people the market would not be what it is today. So what ever you decide to with the car you buy the choice as to how it is done is up to you. They are a fun car to build and drive. Good luk in your search and in whatever you decide to do with the GTO you buy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login