Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help

Posted by patrick hines 
Help
October 09, 2003 01:46PM
This web site is great! Like I said I'll be in the market for a GTO in the next year or so. I just bought a house with a huge garage and my wife already knows that half of it is already reserved for my future "goat"! My question is that I'm not sure if I want one that is already restored or one that I will have to restore. I don't know much about restoration but would love to learn about it. Obviously restoration cars are a lot more affordable. What are the important things to look for whan buying a restoration GTO. Like what kind of things should you definately avoid, and what things are OK? Also what would be a fair price for a 68-69 GTO? Should I go 4-spd or auto? I prefer manual shift. Any and all help would be appreciated. Basically I don't want to buy a GTO and spend more money restoring it than I would if I just bought one already restored. ( I live in Orlando Florida and would apprciate anyone who could tell me about any good engine/machine shops and/or body shops that specialize in restoring GTOs) Thanks again for all your info! (And to the guy who worked at Pontiac and told me about the GTOs in the basement-if you ever are planning a break-in, I'll be your partner!)
Re: Help
October 09, 2003 05:13PM
hey Patrick, I'm the guy who worked at pontiac. The basement is full of pontiac prototypes and experimental cars. To answer your questions about a restored GTO. If it were me and I could afford it I would buy one already restored. Restored GTO's are a little pricey though. I have been looking for a 65 and they run from 30k to 70k depending if numbers match and what condition it is in. There is a guy in Eagleville Tennessee who specializes in restoring GTO's. I will try to get his name and address for you.
October 09, 2003 06:59PM
Thanks Larry, I appreciate it. Don't you just wish you could have snagged one of those babies off the assembly line?!
October 09, 2003 10:21PM
I did snag one off the assembly line. My 65 GTO was built in my plant. I had it for two years when it was stolen and totaled out by the thief. It was a teal mist green convertible with black interior and I was 17 years old (really brings back memories). Anyway, I hope to get another one in the near future. I have started my search already.
October 17, 2003 09:18PM
Larry I have a 65 GTO that I would consider selling. Its not matching numbers. I bought it a couple of years ago and started to restor it but got sick ( I'm 62) and can't finish it. It has a rebuilt 455 ready to go in, new disk brakes, springs, shocks, 12 bolt rear. I have a reasonable set of seats to put in. If your interested we can take this farther.
I live in the Boston area.

David W Davies
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login