Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Holley 4bbl Carburetor?

Posted by Bruce Storey 
Best Holley 4bbl Carburetor?
October 18, 2003 04:32PM
Hi,

I am new here and looking forward to participating. I hope I am not commiting a newbie faux-pas by asking this question, but if I am, go ahead and let me know.

What is the best suited 4bbl Holley carburetor for my '69 GTO, 400C.I., 350hp with A/C? It does not currently have Ram Air, but I will soon be adding Ram Air III.

Thanks for taking the time to read this newbie post.
Re: Best Holley 4bbl Carburetor?
October 18, 2003 11:18PM

Greetings Bruce,

imo for the money i would not reccomend holley,
but rather a carb far more superior to it and cheaper, its made by barry grant and i would say to go with a 650 road demon or speed demon the entire demon line of carbs are awesome i have a 625 road demon on my 400 and its plenty of carb easy to tune and will take most all of holley accesys, you can also use holley rebuild kits when its time for a overhaul which ive had mine 3 yes with no problems at all !!! just my opinion tho
625 cfm road demon only cost $ 299.
October 19, 2003 12:10PM
Thanks John. I will look into Barry Grant. Why do you suggest 650 CFM? I have done some research online and looked at charts, etc. and from what I could work out, I should be looking for a 750 CFM carb.

Is 750 too much?

Thanks
October 19, 2003 03:19PM

Greetings Bruce,

well off the top of my head i would say that 750 is too much.
i might be wrong? but remember that most people make the mistake of too much carb, bigger is not always better when it comes to carbs!! barry grant has a web site go check it out!! i would contact them and tell them exactly what you have and let them make a cfm recomendation! one thing that i learned is that the demon carbs fuel curve is way different from holleys! they have figured something out that holley hasnt it took me a while to get used to the demons cause they flow soo much better than holley! thats why i say probally that 650 should do it! but check with barry grant to make sure. if ya need any thing else that i can help ya with just ask!

John
October 19, 2003 03:31PM
John,

Thanks so much! I will call both Holley and Barry Grant tomorrow and see what they have to say. I definitely don't want to overdo this. That would be a real bummer to find out, after the fact.

Thanks
October 20, 2003 09:35PM
tHERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE BEST HOLLEY CARB.IN MY EXPERIENCE,A HOLLEY CARB IS ONLY GOOD IF YOU LIKE GOING THROUGH A SET OF PLUGS EVERY WEEK.EDELBROCK IS OKAY BUT TO BE HONEST,IVE GOTTEN EVERY BIT AS MUCH PERFORMANCE OUT OF A CHEAP QUADRAJET IF YOU CAN FIGURE OUT THE ADJUSTMENT. UNLESS YOUR WANTING A DUEL SETUP, QUADRAJETS ARE THE BETTER VALUE.(JUST AN OPINION)
October 21, 2003 12:33AM
Didnt the Q jets that came on the GTO's flow 750 cfm? Just a question
May 04, 2006 11:05PM
I am in this exact situation, I need a new carburetor for my '69 GTO with a '70 GTO 400 engine with 350hp. I found this thread, and I went to the Barry Grant site, and it looks really good. I am seriously considering buyin a 725 Road Demon. I chose 725 because I would eventually like to upgrade my engine, and bump horsepower closer to 400. Do any of the Demon carbs come in a spreadbore design?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login