Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help to Identify?

Posted by cdn1972ca 
Help to Identify?
November 20, 2003 02:42AM
I have a 1970-1972 Sport Lemans fender with the four metal air foil slot (8) holes. It fits the Endura rubber front end models for sure not the chrome. This fender has no side marker light cutouts. I can not find pictures of the exact model this fits. I was told it fits a 71 sport lemans and is extremly rare but am not sure. Does anyone know what it really is?
Kevin
Re: Help to Identify?
November 20, 2003 04:05AM

WELL kEVIN,

i dont know what ya got for sure but let me help out with a little info that might help out a little. to start with in 1968 all cars manf, in the us were required to have front side marker lights, so in unless the fender has been replaced with an earlier yr model it should have 'em

ok now i have a 71 lemans sport my own self and as far as the metal air foil slots the 71 has more than 4 per side i believe mine has 8 per side totaling 16 as a complete set so with all that said it sound like probally some has done some modifications to those fenders or they have replaced them with some from an earlier yr model i could be wrong but that is my suspicion.

now then if you have the fenders off or can see the back side that will help if has no mods to where the side marker lights are suppsed to be (ie) a plate or filler panel welded in then it was made for a 67 or earlier!! i know these dates cause i am a certified state inspector among other things but 1968 is the cut off date

hope that helps
john
November 20, 2003 05:03AM
"ok now i have a 71 lemans sport my own self and as far as the metal air foil slots the 71 has more than 4 per side i believe mine has 8 per side"

This fender has four spots per side (8 holes to secure the four fins) as I said in my post.

This fender as was the other off the car, attached to the inner fenders. There is absolutly no way any body work is/was done to take away the side markers. These fenders came from the south and are next to perfect. Just today I removed the hood hinge bolts with a small wrench, hardly any resistance............nothing like what im used to up in Canada.........rust eats everything!!!!!!!!!!!! here.
What i am gathering from our post is that perhaps I have a set of 1970 fenders?........the side marker lights on the 70 lemans where in the lower bumper extension...........ie... the valance? I know the valance marker lights where differant on the 1970 lemans then the 1971-1972 models.
I still need help from someone that really knows.
Kevin
November 20, 2003 04:55PM
Not sure if this will help or not but this website [ultimategto.com] has many pictures of all year GTOs and some Lemans and Tempest too.
It even has a picture searcher that could be very helpful to you.
Good luck
Mike
November 27, 2003 06:10AM
my 71 sport lemans has NO side marker lights either.
thats the first thing i noticed before i even bought my car..
that there wasnt any side marker lights in the body,front or rear.
it also has the slash bars near the doors right?--that you describe,and the marker light/Turn signal is mounted in the front lower valance.
my lower chrome strip,under door-from front to rear,has 350 emblem on it.
hope that helps.
if you want,i`ll take a picture of mine and post it so you can tell.
robwuzhere@hotmail.com

as far as being worth money,
did`nt think it was too rare tho,sorry about that.
not that i`m an expert by any means.
i`ve seen whole cars //sport lemans//-on ebay for less than 1500.
now,you could sell me some tailight lenses..those i could use
;0)
i do know that the lemans/gto tailights are the same,but the front end grilles,AND the turn signals are completely Different for the GTO.

i`ve been told the gto tailights use a chrome strip around them,and not the lemans,but the original/one owner car i bought,has the chrome strips..go figure.

one mans junk,is another mans treasure
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login