Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old cars.

Posted by Lance Q 
Old cars.
January 02, 2004 06:51AM
At the present moment i hate old cars.=) I think and im pretty sure my goat just busted a rod. Anybodys input, humor or stories would be good entertainment at the present moment.
Re: Old cars.
January 03, 2004 01:02AM
Lance, take it easy on yourself! My 66 gto, I bought in 1994, I have done the following and am still doing stuf: Total motor rebuild from ato z, tri power carbs removed and totally rebuilt, new rear end (3:90) and positraction installed, total trans and clutch rebuild two years ago, drivers side door removed and repainted three years ago and quarter panel, nagging electrical problem checked out by three "experts", found out that aftermarket radio, was defective and draining the battery, and with all old gto's had to have the rope seal replaced. Now have a mysterious dent in my front bumper, tiny, but noticeable and will have to have that replaced.
The money I have spend on above: Cannot mention, my wife might read this column!!!
January 03, 2004 01:12AM
Yea, old cars. I just got mine back from the body shop a couple of months ago after being T boned by a CHP. Took out the passenger door quarter panel and rear wheel and tire. Took me 11 months to get it back. Wasnt fun. Ended up going to three different body shops until it finnally got done.
January 03, 2004 09:56PM
uge make you mad
My 68 gto under rear window last week thought it was going to fall off how about that it snowd out here were it dont snow 2 ft even. the snow's weight made my rear window and panel under window fall into my trunk so i have extra A/C now i know it was going to nead to be replaced but was hoping that it could wait untill spring this car is a 100% orig mom bought new back in her day never been wreckd always been garaged but the salt from the ocean and the humidity over the years took it's toll on my poor girl so now it's in the garage geting cut up and new metal orderd so I hope in the next 10 weeks ill have it ready to paint bummer orig paint also so i guess we can cry out loud for now I hait snow......LOL travis but atleast i didnt get taken out by a CHP hope things go well Travis the pontiac guy

travis williams
January 04, 2004 03:35PM
BOUGHT A 72' GTO LAST SUMMER. IN REALLY GOOD SHAPE. BUT, LIKE MOST OLD CARS, IT NEEDS ALL SEALS REPLACED, WINDOWS, DOORS, TRUNK...
SOME PREVIOUS OWNER INSTALLED SWIVEL BUCKET SEATS SO IT HAS SOME EXTRA HOLES DRILLED THROUGH THE FLOOR BOARDS.
NOT WANTING TO FILL THE INSIDE WITH WATER, I THOUGHT I'D PUT IT AWAY DURING THE RAINY SEASON. HERE IN OREGONS' WILAMMETTE VALLEY WE HAVE 4 SEASONS; RAIN, RAIN, SUMMER AND RAIN.
SO, I BOUGHT A PRE-FAB CAR PORT AND PUT THE GOAT TO BED TILL' NO RAIN.
I'VE LIVED UP HERE ALMOST 30 YEARS AND WE ALWAYS GET 2"-4" SNOW AND IT ALWAYS GOES AWAY AFTER A DAY OR TWO. AW, CRAP! DID I SAY ALWAYS? THE CAR PORT COULDN'T SUPPORT THE 18" OF SNOW WE GOT THIS WEEK. IT TOOK 6 HOURS OF CAREFUL DIGGING AND A COUPLE MORE TO REMOVE THE STEEL POSTS OFF THE CAR. ONLY MINOR DAMAGE, BUT IT'S GONNA' SET ME BACK SOME TIME AND MONEY.
I DON'T HATE THE SNOW, BUT IT 'AUGHT TO STAY IN THE MOUNTAINS WHERE IT BELONGS.
January 06, 2004 06:21AM
So i found out what happened inside. Got the heads off and it looks like a valve became dislodged and fell into the cylinder when i started the car. It cracked the block and head and now the motor is shot. Refer to "heads" topic for a response to those questions.
January 06, 2004 06:37AM
cheers cheers another oregonian Iam east of you 100 miles
and we have about 13 to 10 inchs hear of snow same thing hear. gos away in a day or two not this year blizzard conditons thought i was back in Salt Lake City road's closed drifts 3 to 4 ft high on roads and alot of cold last night boardman,oregon hit a high low of -16.Go away please Hope you all a nice cold new year LOL

travis williams
January 07, 2004 04:31AM
Lance, Im sorry to hear that. It made me cringe just reading that. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard. Thats horrible...
January 14, 2004 10:45PM
Travis,

Are there many muscle cars in Oregon? Probably nice cruising in the summer.
January 15, 2004 06:59AM
there are some fast one's out here and alot of original gto's chevelle's camaro's firebird's I mean low mileage goat's cruiseing and other car's
the rust out here in oregon isnt as bad as other's,My mom is from Seattle area bought here gto new back in the day and have had it ever sence,
the last 8 year's it sat in the back yard in a dripy barn out side of Seattle the rain and moss took it''s toll over the year's, around the rear window now go'ing to be mine sitting in the back yard.Waiting for my dad's 55 chevy bel-air to get done & out of the paint booth,the snow's f%#@d it up.And it dont snow here in this part of Oregon.Well the good new's is I have a 68 leman's part's car clean rear window trunk qtr's etc etc.. So that will save alot of money, I bought a 68 gto convert from the guy next door to me lately for 1500.00 all orig,matching number's 2bbl low out put 89,000 mile's seat's are toast as the top from the weather been sitting for 13 year's has ralley guage's clock auto on column power top,power steering & brake's orig, owner of car also has chrome front bumper none hideaway's say's he order's it that way because he did not care for the Endura I havent seen factory invoice yet but have dealer invoice sent in for PHS document's.
no rust any place on car was running when parked but not well,,he also had a 68 tempest custom convert pretty much basket but almost all there i bought for 800.00 matching number's 350 turbo 350 no interior well no seat's but all well not running no rust any place so there are alot of old car's out here...It took me 5 year's to get these convert's Oh i also did machine work for his 64 gto ht,that's what made him sell , so all toghter i would have paid $3000.00 ...high way robbery.. . one mans junk is another mans treasure...there are old steel coupes lead sleads goat's firebird's all over hideing in back yard's I live in the country farm town.

travis williams
January 15, 2004 08:14PM
You got a deal on the 68 GTO convertible and it sounds like an interesting car. They didn't produce many of those.

I have an all original two barrel '69 hardtop and I know people may laugh at it, but it's one of the best GTO's I've owned and I've had a bunch of them. It's highly optioned and is a great cruiser. It's espresso brown with black interior, power bench seat, auto on the column, ps, pdb, pw, wood wheel, am/fm, a/c, and hideaways. The 265 horse 400 engine has good power even though it is a two-barrel. I don't care what people say, it's a keeper. I think people who love GTO's like it.
January 15, 2004 09:50PM
i traded my 71 firebird for a rare 73 gto. i have it for sale if you know anyone interested.

jon pence
January 18, 2004 02:50PM
TRAVIS IS RIGHT. WE DON'T SALT THE ROADS IN THE WINTER OUT HERE, SO
OLDER CARS DON'T RUST OUT AS BAD AS IN SOME EASTERN AREAS. OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM HERE SEEMS TO BE MOISTURE IN THE INTERIOR.
WHEN LATE SPRING AND SUMMER ROLL AROUND, YOU SEE MORE AND MORE CLASSICS AND RODS ON THE STREETS. FOR SOME REASON, THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE MANY GTOs IN THE SALEM AREA. I THINK IT'S KINDA' COOL THAT I DRAW A LOT MORE ATTENTION IN THE GTO('72) THAN I DO
IN MY '56 CHEVY.

MARK NILES
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login