Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

are headers good or bad

Posted by abbott 
are headers good or bad
November 09, 2005 10:47PM
i am currently restoring a '68 GTO and am unsure whether or not to put headers on it. some people say that they cause problems, but the hp gain are hard to ignore. help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: are headers good or bad
November 10, 2005 12:38AM
If youre going to drive the car alot I would recommend the stock cast manifolds for reliability, if its a weekend warrior type car put the headers on, then it would also sound like a GTO should. Have fun.

1968 GTO 400HO 4Spd rare 2tone,Meridian Turq/Black. Dad bought new and was my first car to ride in from birth,came home from hospital in it.
May 08, 2006 01:30AM
i also have a '68 and was thinking about putting headers on. i don't have any advice for you but was wondering if you put some on and how you like them?
May 10, 2006 11:46AM
just make sure you get a good set Dougs are one of the best for fit and finish
May 11, 2006 09:35PM
The stock cast iron headers are very header-like manifolds, if you will. Headers may cause reliability issues, and clearance issues too. On the other hand, you will gain a considerably amount of horsepower out of headers... This is just a tough decision you will have to make. Keep in mind that if you buy headers, and put them on, you will still have the manifolds. If you had a problem with the headers, take them back and put the manifold back on. I would suggest going to pypesexhaust.com for exhaust parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login