Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SVR YOUR THOUGHTS ON SEALANTS

Posted by concoursgarage 
SVR YOUR THOUGHTS ON SEALANTS
September 10, 2010 01:57PM
SVR... CAN YOU SHARE WITH US YOUR OPINION ON THE BEST SEALANTS ON THE MARKET TODAY AND WHY YOU THINK SO?
Re: SVR YOUR THOUGHTS ON SEALANTS
September 14, 2010 10:07AM
hey there guys

after testing 95 brands of products in so many ways, I feel that my points are valid

POLYMER PRODUCTS

There are a variety of them and many use the term cross linking for alot of them
this is simply not the case with many

the well known boutique brands really only achieve protection via something called surface tension
hydrophobic and hydrophillic effects are what these give. the problem is, surface tension alone is not enough

many polymers are water or solvent based polydimethylsilicone (SUPER POLYMER) although some do have waxes too
these are fine in general on all bar fresh paint
most do not give any gloss enhancing effect or only minimal amount

Any water based polymers will not be good as they have a low melting point and as it does not repel water, wont last that long

Most polymers life time is 3 to 9 months due to the fact that these products only sit on the paint, barely cross linking to the paint if at all (think they use that in their marketing instead of actually doing it)
TEFLON/ACRYLIC

These are superior most of the time to polymers but have a side effect
Teflon on some paints, changes the characteristics of them and any product used on the treated surface and can cause all sorts of issues. hazing, streaking, blotching etc

The shine on this is very high and glassy and life time lasts up to 2 years if treated properly after application

the best ones in this field are those which repel water aka are not soluble in water
unlike polymers and waxes, these use positive and negatively charged products to bond to each other
the first product like toughseal step 1 deep cleans the paint and lays the base for the oppositely charged step 2 sealant
so these do actually bond to each other and the paint

GLASS/TITANIUM OXIDE

These are what I buy and what I improve upon formulation wise to certain requirements
many dismiss these products as snake oil and marketing bullshit

however these have been the best products to use since the year 2000
These are only inferior to the new polyurethane scratch resistant coatings now available

what makes these products superior to all the rest is that they actually thicken the paint and can repair defects (filling them) for a long time and reduce orange peel effect

each product has more active ingredients in them than the previous ones and the last three lock in the first two permanently
the gloss these achieve and the thickness is anything up to 100 microns (equal to that of 80 - 100 microns of paint

there are certain techniques, towels and pads required to get the best out of these products but they are so easy to use
the paint gloss is magnified by the thickening effect
each product deep cleans the paint to the point where the clarity of it is as high or higher than that of machine paint correction

the products become part of the paint

I wont devulge my custom mixes at any time.
the products I buy are only available in my country, the overseas versions are too dry and have less active ingredients
September 14, 2010 01:09PM
So elaborate on GLASS/TITANIUM OXIDE products what would be a similar class of products here in the U.S. ?
September 15, 2010 10:04AM
Aquartz
September 17, 2010 01:06AM
How does it bond to the paint? Interesting concept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 01:09AM by billd55.
September 17, 2010 05:39AM
SVR73:

Not sure why you refer to the titanium oxide or titanium dioxide.

Both are natural white pigments for creating color in a product.

As Kim Wilson said, not much reason to use them in a paint sealant other than to adjust color.

You seem to infer that this ingredient has some wonder effect in your sealants when in fact all they/it are is a white pigment?

Please explain.

Bud Abraham
September 17, 2010 01:17PM
SVR73

Do not waste your time answering Bud's question. I made that mistake, and you can
see where that got me.He will not listen to anything you say, and the questions
will never end.This is a can of worms you do not want to open.

If you have not figured out yet, he thinks your product is marketing bullshit as you say.How can you argue with someone who will tell you that your product is no different than a common wax?

Engineers told Henry Ford it was not possible to make a V-8 engine.Henry Ford
was not an engineer, but he knew it was possible. If he would have listened
to the experts there would be no V-8 engine today.

I believe AT-5 is the best sealant on the market, but I could be wrong. Although,
I am willing to listen to what you have to say because I have an open mind.
Many here clearly do not see things the same way.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 03:51PM by billd55.
September 17, 2010 01:51PM
Bill

Remember an insult is only such if you accept it as an insult.

Another good bit of advise is to not personally attack the messenger if you do not agree with the message.

You are a fine young man, I assume, who is just a bit misguided in his understanding of the chemistry of detailing chemicals.

Regards
September 17, 2010 02:22PM
Bud

I am not insulting you, but trying to make you aware that maybe you are not as
smart as you think you really are on the subject of detailing.

Another good bit of advise is to not personally attack the messenger if you do not agree with the message. Bud, would you listen to your own advice. You have done
nothing but attack my message. You had to get Kim involved in the debate to show everyone here you are right. This man jumps into the debate with a personal attack
on me which you clearly promoted.

Your question to SVR73 clearly shows you are looking to start the same debate
with him to show his product is snake oil.Personally, I want to hear what SVR73
has to say, and not your expert analysis.
September 18, 2010 12:40AM
Hey Bill, as you have been detailing for years, tell me your cleaning procedure for: Analine leather vs Protected leather.

What products and procedures do you use?

Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login