Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

HELP! Removing Magnetic Sign Damage!

Posted by Joe Maida 
HELP! Removing Magnetic Sign Damage!
July 28, 2003 12:53PM
<HTML>
Hi all, I'm new to this site...hope one of you auto detailing experts can offer some advice on how to fix this:

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper, Jet Black with clearcoat. I took delivery of it on June 6, 2003 -- so it's less than 90 days "old."

I washed and "waxed" it using the complete Zaino brothers system, and it looks spectacular.

Then I did something stupid: I wanted to see what hood stripes would look like on the car, but not permanent. So I used SafeMag magnetic strips. I put them on the hood for only 4 hours. Thing is, it was hot outside, and the hood got hot. After removing the magnetic stripes, I now have two 4" wide by 32" long "shadows" of where the magnets once were. This damage seems to be etched into the clearcoat (in only 4 hours time!). I washed the car, rewaxed, used Zaino #5, all that jazz, but still, there is the remnant shaodwing of where the magnets once were. It's driving me crazy. Thing is, you can only see the "haze" or "shadow" of where the magnets were in certain "low" angles. It's not visible from straight on, or from the top, only from the sides and you have to get down low to see it -- which makes me think this damage is "dimensional" in nature and CAN BE REMOVED. (I HOPE!)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove marks left by magnetic strips?

It happened on saturday -- I called one shop they said use a clay bar -- this did not work. I called another, they said the damage is most likely permanent, and I'd have to have the hood repainted and re-clearcoated! Another said that a wheel buff at a professional auto detail shop should do the trick. I'm hoping that is the answer -- take it to a pro auto detail shop.

Do you think I worsened it by putting a couple layers of Zaino wax on top...or made it harder to now remove the mark?

What do you experts think, ever deal with something like this before?

Thanks so much,

Joe</HTML>
Dan
Re: HELP! Removing Magnetic Sign Damage!
July 28, 2003 02:47PM
<HTML>It could be that your damage is in the optical sealant you applied and not on the finish. When you reapplied the Zaino, did you strip the previous application off with dish soap or other product? I have seen it before where there has been swirls and scratches all over and once the finish was prepped and cleaned the swirls were gone, they were in the previous wax. THis is the protection sealants provide, they help keep swirls off the finish from car washing, hopefully your spots will come off after you strip the wax and clay these areas. You may want to try a mild polish by hand, say #9 meguars swirl remover, and strip that off with dish soap solution after you work it in to remove the filler. Good luck to you, if all else fails take it to a GOOD detail shop and have themn spot buff just these areas, probably will cost $50.</HTML>
Re: HELP! Removing Magnetic Sign Damage!
July 28, 2003 03:15PM
<HTML>Sound similar to the fogging that front end bras can do. Try leaving it in the sun for a few hours and see if it fades. That is the usual cure for the 'bra marks.'</HTML>

-ghost of a past detailer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login