Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Swipe" APC

Posted by Doug Delmont 
"Swipe" APC
March 20, 2011 08:55PM
I read a book called, " How I feed My Family on $16 a day ". Okay, it is a very old book. One way the author said she saved money was by using one cleaning product to do almost everything instead of buying separate products for each household task ( bathroom tile cleaner, stain remover, floor cleaner, counter-top cleaner, toilet cleaner----you get the idea ).

The author said she used Swipe for years and it worked fine. Here is a link for the product : [swipehomecare.com]

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff ? And I want say in advance that it is bad form for any competitor to knock this product on the forum.
Doug
Re: "Swipe" APC
March 20, 2011 10:00PM
It has Butyls in it, so definitely not for up-market vehicle interiors. Leather would turn to crap with it. Might have a bleaching effect on fabrics if not diluted way down as well.
March 21, 2011 08:02AM
All cleaners contain glycol-ether which is the generic name of the brand of GE called Butyl Cellusolv.
March 21, 2011 04:20PM
Bud, not "all" use glycol-ether/butyl.
Many newer formulations use DPN in it's place.
March 21, 2011 09:09PM
Ron

Was not aware of that. When you say, DPN are you referring to "dinitrophenol?"

Regards
Bud Abraham
March 21, 2011 10:06PM
It was from one of you two old hands that I learned to watch for butyls in cleaners and check the MSDS for information. Are you saying now that this is wrong? It is bad for leather finishes, isn't it?

Thanks
March 21, 2011 10:54PM
You mean glycol ether, not butyls.

Cleaners can also include diLimoneen also the natural solvent from orange peels.

There is nothing wrong with these cleaning solvents in working with carpets, vinyls or automotive leather if you use a product that is formulated for the material you are cleaning.

I would not use a degreaser for leather or carpet.

If you are cleaning naked, analine leather as used in making clothes I would not use a product with solvents. The leather companies say to use nothing but saddle soap for cleaning.

But automobiles do not use naked leather they use analine protected leather.

Bud Abraham
March 22, 2011 08:01PM
What does Ron think?
March 22, 2011 11:51PM
Right now, Ron is old, thinking right now makes my head hurt.

Can anyone say "cocktail time", I'll get back to you later.
March 23, 2011 04:24PM
I am old, it is DPM, not DPN.

dipropylene glycol methyl ether.

Lowers the surface tension, acts as a solvent when used in water based cleaners.
Dpending on strength required, usage, only 1 to 5% is needed.
Very low on toxicity level, much less than butyl and is not considered a ground water contaminate,(at least according to my three year old reference book)
March 23, 2011 04:30PM
Thanks Ron, know the frustrations of being"older."

Please confirm my understanding that "Butyl Cellusolv" is a brand name for gycol-ether and just about every cleaner such as degreasers; carpet shampoos; upholstery cleaners, all purpose cleaners use a small quantity of gycol-ether and/or some diLimonene?

Thanks

Bud Abraham
March 23, 2011 06:01PM
Bud, there are several versions of butyl cellosolves being produced and marketed.
Not sure about it being a registered brand name.
Yes, some variance of the component is used in many cleaners, however, in the world I was working in we could not use it when producing a product for any of the Big Three, as their health and eviromental safety labs would not allow it to be in any product that they would remarket to their customers.
Has to do with the ground water toxicity of the component, plus studies done in Europe regarding health hazard risks.
Same with one of my favorite solvents, di-limonene.
So, couldn't use it for their products, and we refused to market a product under our brand as well.
March 23, 2011 08:42PM
Thanks for the input.

Bud A
March 26, 2011 10:18PM
Ron, its cocktail time... try a Tom Collins to perk ya up : )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login