Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

tyre marks on leather

Posted by rsrtuning 
tyre marks on leather
August 04, 2005 08:50PM
<HTML>Heres a good one...
Customer came in w a Audi A8 with light cream colored leather.
He has had a spare tyre in back seat, and it has left really lovely imprints of the tire on the top half of seat.
Now we tried all chems, that we have in our shop, but to nearly no difference at all, a slight bit did come away, but very very little.
Now I do beleive the only sollution is to respray that part.
as to use any more aggressive chem, i think will only also take the color away.
Any one know of any sollution to this?
or are we looking at a respray??

RoB</HTML>
Re: tyre marks on leather
August 05, 2005 01:30AM
<HTML>tough call, and not a thing to be guarneeted.

Try getting some "perclore", which is a solvent used in the dry cleaning industry, it is a "clorinated" solvent, so very quick evaporative.

The Audi leather is clear coated, so you may remove part of the clear, as you remove the marks.

However, the acids, carbon black, etc that are in the tire's composition, have, due to "heat" become part of the polymer coating on the leather, which is what is creating your concern.

The problem is how to remove just enough of the "stained" part of the clear coating, without damaging the leather.

That is what, due to it's high evaporative rate, the perclore is great at doing.

You will most likely have to take a "steel container" to a local dry cleaning shop order to get some.

Do not attempt to use a "plastic" bottle to contain this solvent, it must be steel or you could use a glass bottle. Make sure it has a very "tight" cap seal.

Wet a towel , and start learning, wet the area with the towel, gently agitating, don't "soak" it. Look at the cloth, see if the "stain" is transfering.

You don't need to really worry about cleaning the perclore off afterwards, at it evaporates completely, you may wish to wash the area with a water dampened cloth, but not really necessary.

The only way to replace the remove clear coat of the leather is our ValuGard
Leather Vinyl Protector product, as it is basically the same coating.

Email me direct if you have questions.

Ketch</HTML>
August 05, 2005 05:33AM
<HTML>Grumpy!!

thank you very much for your very informative answer.

I do carry in the shop a product called tricloretane 1.1.1, which is I think the product you talk about, we use it as a last resort for spots on normal upholstery, and it usually takes away anything that wont come off with any other chemical. allthough i did not try that one yesterday, as i thought it might have been too strong for leather. and was afraid to make it worse. or even create new damage.

i will try it today on a small disguised area, and see what happens.
ill let you know how i get on.

PS. I really though think i may have to pass it on to our guy who resprays, just the customer really wanted to avoid that, so we promised we would try our best first to see if it was possible to help withouth a respray.

thank you again.

RoB</HTML>
August 05, 2005 12:51PM
<HTML>TR-1-1- was the "replacement" in the states, but has been basically banned, not due to the VOC, but is carcenigenic per our govemental agencies.

TR-1-1-1, is even more "active" than perclore as well.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
August 14, 2005 07:33PM
<HTML>I have the exact same problem with my 98 C230. So did the dry cleaning fluid work? Is that the only option besides having the seats re-finished? I have tried alcohol, gasoline, leather cleaner, all in small amounts in the hidden area, but nothing has removed these tire marks.</HTML>
August 15, 2005 07:58AM
<HTML>Hi

Sorry i did not answer back yet, we have been a week on holiday now in august, came in last nite and saw post, and remebered what i forgot. heres the solution anyway.

We tried a small area with the tricloretane 1.1.1, using grumpys method of slightly agitating the (infected) area but still nearly nothing, it made the fibercloth lightly darker, something was comming off, yes, but not enough to say it would work. i then agitated a little bit more, and a little more, and ooops, as quick as lightning, there was also the color of the leather on my cloth. (lol), it took us right through to the pure leather. but the tyre mark was still there, ( it has actually gone through the color into the pores of the leather now it did not matter as we allready decided to color match and respray the area anyway, but its a good learning experience to see how far one can go.

So theres a lesson to be learnt here
make sure you have a guy to do leather coloring, or that your clients dont put spare tyres in their light colored leather seaqts

I have since also spoken to other friends, and they to have either had experience of the same, or at least knew of others that have had the same problem. and no one it seems, has had any luck in removing tyre print offs in leather, but have all had to retint. Some have even said that even after a respray, if it has gone deep into leather, and the color is very light, it may even after a couple of years show back through again.

our guy sanded it down, matched the color perfecly, resprayed, and now the seat looks very very good.
customer happy, end of.

respray cost to us from leather guy 50€

RoB</HTML>
August 15, 2005 01:37PM
<HTML>That was my main concern in using either TRIII or perclore, although the perclore is a little less agressive.

Sounds like people should learn why the hell they put a trunk on cars, LOL~

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login