Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Formula AT5

Posted by Keith Boyer 
Formula AT5
August 08, 2005 03:43PM
<HTML>I was on Gem Industries website today looking for some new drive pads for my buffer and saw that they sell a product claiming to last for five years. I am including the product description from the web site. My question is does anyone have experience with this or know anything about it? Thanks.

Formula AT-5

GEM's exclusive Acrylic/P.T.F.E sealant is legendary in the industry for long lasting protection and high gloss shine. As an acrylic, Formula AT-5 bonds with the clearcoat surface, virtually forming another protective layer. Lab tested to remain on the vehicle for up to five years.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
Re: Formula AT5
August 08, 2005 04:50PM
<HTML>Sorry, but without actually being able to see "this test", with the test protocal's used, knowing there was a real test, conducted by a truly independant lab, I find that claim very hard to accept.

I have the test protocal's and test results papers by DaimlerChrysler, GM and Nissan for sealants.

None, not even the very best that we can formulate for these vehicle manufacturers will make it pass 3 years!

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
August 08, 2005 04:51PM
<HTML>Sorry, but without actually being able to see "this test", with the test protocal's used, knowing there was a real test, conducted by a truly independant lab, I find that claim very hard to accept.

I have the test protocal's and test results papers by DaimlerChrysler, GM and Nissan for sealants.

None, not even the very best that we can formulate for these vehicle manufacturers will make it past 3 years!

Ask them some questions, like what paint systems was it applied to, what were the acids used, was a xeon gas test protocal applied, etc.
Ketch</HTML>

None, not even the very best that we can formulate for these vehicle manufacturers will make it past 3 years!

Ask them some questions, like what paint systems was it applied to, what were the acids used, was a xeon gas test protocal applied, etc.
Ketch</HTML>

Ketch</HTML>

August 08, 2005 04:57PM
<HTML>Sorry guys, that was not me that created the multiple posts, the website's system must have had a brain fart!

Ketch</HTML>

August 08, 2005 07:36PM
<HTML>Ron:

I was laughing when I saw your post over and over again.

Thinking Damn dude! I get the point !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it when it does that.....</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
August 08, 2005 07:40PM
<HTML>I can understand old farts like me having a brain fart, but a computer?

Naw, can't happen, just ask Bill Gates.

LOL!

Ketch</HTML>

September 02, 2005 11:04AM
<HTML>UPDATE: I ordered the AT-5 just for kicks. I think I am be sold on this stuff. THe other day I offered to wax a customers boat just to see how it worked. After three stright days of rain I went back to the boat. NO BLACK STREAKS!!!! I also used it in as a final step of a three step system with a 96 black jetta. The car looks great. Used it on an 04 Sea Ray customers remark: My boat has never looked better! If this stuff can last 25% as long as it says I will be happy. Very easy product to use too, just follow the directions and whammy big time shine!</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
September 04, 2005 03:31AM
<HTML>Kieth

I have a one gallon of that stuff it yours for $10 + shipping if you want just e-mail me</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
September 05, 2005 09:10PM
<HTML>Were you not happy with it?</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
September 06, 2005 04:13AM
<HTML>It's NOT worth the effort it dries quick, lots of other products out there that works much BETTER [Klasse AIO,AutoGlym Hardwax, Ardex Flint Wax etc.]</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
October 07, 2005 04:35AM
<HTML>I have used at-5 for 15 years. It has to be cut with bc-2 by automagic half and half. If you do this you will have a very workable product that last. Before you ever apply this product you will need to clay the paint not unless you plan on compounding first. at-5 has to have a clean suface.
I generally start people off with at-5 when there boat or car is new and maintain it from new. Nothing will ever stick to that paint.</HTML>
October 08, 2005 05:28PM
<HTML>Keith:

Well aware of AT-5, it is nothing more than a paint sealant, or what we call a protection product that would be used after compounding and swirl removing. It can also be used as a one step protection process.

Unfortunately this product was not included in our Comparative Test of Paint Sealants and Waxes done a couple of years ago testing for reflective shine; reflective shine after 12 washings and resistence to salt water corrosion.

However, from what I know of the chemistry of paint sealants none will last more than 6 months without a renewal, and there is really no way for you or a consumer to even judge whether it lasts or not. And, you can take that to the bank.

Yes, you can subjectively say it is shining as well today as it did 6 months ago, but you have no way of knowing if there is protection. Water beading is not a test. What makes water bead does not necessarily mean protection. And, in fact, protective ingredients in paint sealants or waxes does not make water bead.

What you detailers must know is what is logical and what is not in terms of products. Most of the 1, 2, 3, and 5 year guaranteed paint sealants have a disclaimer that states it must "be renewed" every 6 months. Those that don't are really stretching it.

And, you do not have to mix a paint sealant with anything else. AT-5 was formulated as a paint sealant, not as a one step which one of the posters creates with it and another company's product. I guess you could create a high quality one step by mixing a light compound with it. But then you can buy one step products at a lesser price.

Keep in mind that paint sealant or wax products are not all the same. Some are formulated to leave a high shine which often takes away from durability. Others formulated to be very durable but that takes away from shine. As my chemists have indicated to me you cannot have a product that offers it all. Some can balance all the factors and come up with a all round shiny and protective sealant or wax, but not tops in all catagories.

For example, in the test we had done, the top three products in reflective shine were 17th, 18th and 19th in resistence to salt water corrosion.

Finally, look at price. There is no reason to pay more than about $22 to 23 a gallon for any protection product be it a wax or paint sealant. There is simply no more technology in such products than that. Maybe a little marketing costs, but no way should you be paying $45 a gallon or as some sell, $45 a quart.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
October 10, 2005 03:05AM
<HTML>Been using AT5 for 15 or 16 years now. It is a Great product. They make two formulas of AT5 one is a summer version it has a slower drying time. I use this all year and do one panel or one area at a time. If you leave it on to long it is very hard to get off. Bud is right the 5 year warranty requires a retreatment every 6 months. This is a big money maker for us. We use this as a standard product for boats rvs and aircraft.</HTML>
October 10, 2005 04:01AM
<HTML>Bud: (et all)
Thanks for the feed back. I have used the product now for 2 months and I have been very pleased with it. I plan on incoporating this product into our line of services. I have been telling customers I have been using a paint sealant versus a traditional wax I get a very postive feedback from them. I may eliminate waxes all together and use just the sealant.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login