Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Water Spot Removal

Posted by John Johnstone 
Water Spot Removal
September 25, 2003 09:20PM
<HTML>how do you remove water spots without removing the wax/sealent? Do you use a clay bar?</HTML>
Re: Water Spot Removal
September 26, 2003 03:56AM
<HTML>Not possible to remove water spots and not remove any wax or sealant.

Best way to remove water spots, which are solidified minerals in the water that has dried is to reliquify the minerals with an acidic chemical. Best one to use is a "Water Spot Remover" from a detail chemical supplier and follow their instructions carefully.

Clay will not do it.

Regards
bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 26, 2003 06:42AM
<HTML>I've used this stuff called Waterless Car Wash from Xtreme Detailing Products. Now, I don't know how hard your water is, but I have a black truck and after it rains, if I don't have time to wash it, I'll just go over it with the waterless and it takes the spots right off. It actually cleans the surface. It has a wax & sealant agent in it, so it leaves a nice shine. Nothing long lasting and not meant to take the place of proper cleaning, but it's great to have in a pinch or if you're in a hurry.</HTML>
September 26, 2003 07:52PM
<HTML>so everytime i remove waterspots i need to rewax/reseal that particular area?</HTML>
September 26, 2003 11:34PM
<HTML>You need to reseal the entire area as you stripped it all off.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 27, 2003 09:24PM
<HTML>what companies make this water spot remover

does it come in a liquid or cream form?</HTML>
September 27, 2003 11:40PM
<HTML>Franco... CarBrite and Malco products make Surface Clarifiers , as do Motorcraft.

CarBrite makes two or three that either come in a liquid or a gel, Malco's is a liquid and Motorcrafts is a liquid too.

Just to be clear, these will not remove the water spots, just the deposits that cause them. The only way to remove them is to buff them out.

Jim.</HTML>
September 28, 2003 12:35AM
<HTML>thanks jim for the advice

so what polish or compounds do you use to remove water spots
how many rpms do you set your polisher too, foam pad? wool?</HTML>
September 28, 2003 12:45AM
<HTML>Franco , I recently did a 03 Mustang that was heavily spotted, this was the first vehicle that I had buffed out the water spots on and wasnt sure if they truly came out or not .

I started off with a foam cutting pad and used Car Brites Workout 1000 , this removed just about all the water marks , there were a few deeper ones where I switched to a wool pad , then went back over them with the foam cutting pad. I kept the rpm's at about 1000 rpm, sometimes switching up to 1200 on the heavier spots. After the cutting process simply go over your normal routine and finish as you normally would.

To be honest this car was so badly marked I didnt think they would come out at all, but they did and it looked really nice when it was done. This vehicle had been sitting on our lot for 8 weeks and had not sold, they day after it was done it was sold .

Hope this helps. any further questions feel free to ask.

Jim.</HTML>
September 28, 2003 02:28AM
<HTML>Just to clear something up here..I was talking about the etching marks left behind by acid rain, and not regualr water spots, sorry for the confusion , my bad! Long day with the kids is my excuse !!

Jim.</HTML>
September 29, 2003 01:00AM
<HTML>thank you jim</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login