Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wrong type cleaner on clear coat

Posted by Dave C 
Wrong type cleaner on clear coat
September 27, 2003 03:28AM
<HTML>Hello everyone

I bought this spray wheel mag cleaner that i bought from a auto parts store, one of the clerks said it will make my mag wheels shinny and clean on my clear coated mags, but now, my shinny and clean mag wheels are all cloudy and filthy. Can someone please tell me how to repair this back to it's original shine? can this be fixed by myself?

Thanks for any help on this matter</HTML>
Re: Wrong type cleaner on clear coat
September 27, 2003 04:55AM
<HTML>How did you apply it?

Go back to the store and ask to speak to them manager and show him the wheels and what does he suggest you do since his employee told you to use the product and, I assume he told you it was safe.

Call the company that made the product and find out what they suggest, their name should be on the product.

I would do nothing until I did these two things.

Let us know what happens if you choose to do either of these things.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 28, 2003 02:48AM
<HTML>Thank you for your suggestions, and i will follow up on both of those too.
I was so pi~~ed off, i threw the bottle away in the garbage, and yes he said, it will make my clear coated wheels shinny and clean....Boy was he wrong, i'll just wait and see the outcome of this when i confront the manager with this

Thanks

David C</HTML>
September 30, 2003 12:52AM
<HTML>Are you sure these are clear coated wheels?</HTML>
September 30, 2003 01:18AM
<HTML>Yes they are clear coated, because i used a pad with wax on it, to the mag wheel, and no black showed up at all, so if i remember correctly, that would tell that they are clear coated ? also, looking at them you can tell they have a hard shell clear coat to them.</HTML>
Dan
September 30, 2003 09:01PM
<HTML>You still may be dealing with a uncoated aluminum wheel. What year and make of car are they from or are they aftermarket rims?</HTML>
October 01, 2003 12:42AM
<HTML>Dave, there was a guy on this forum who posted a while back about using Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner, and it made a real mess of his wheels . Were the wheels cool to the touch when you put this cleaner on, if they were hot then this will add to the problem as the chemicals in the cleaner will dry too quickly and stain the wheel. This particular guy had a Porsche I believe , and he cured it by using Mothers Metal Poish and some elbow grease to restore the shine to the wheel.

Jim.</HTML>
October 01, 2003 02:10AM
<HTML>Hello Dan......Weels were on truck when bought used, there the older style Enkei wheels with the bullet type ends that go around the inside perimeter and with the 5 cutout triangle, Sounds like these are aftermarket rims, because i see alot of ford Rangers with the rounded holes alot, they seem to me that there stock?

Hi Jim......first thing i did was sprayed them in the early morning, cloudy morning, no sun beaming down anything like that.

Looks like that bottle of mothers metal finish has my name on it, if nothing else, it will be a job for the pro's

I went to the auto parts store this afternoon, spoke with the person that sold it to me, he had no recollection of me or a discussion of the wheel cleaner at all, i asked if i can speak to the manager with him present.So i explained to the manager what took place between me and his employe that day, he took a look at my truck, he gave my money back, but couldn't do anything about the wheels. Manager said, even though the wrong product was sold/used i should have known better, to check labling for compatibility on my wheels....and that product is, Eagle one mag cleaner...for rough or cast-alloy wheels...unrivalled etching power....(not for use on clear coat)...i guess i learned my lesson the hardway, and alot more to be learned from

Thanks all for your help!</HTML>
Dan
October 01, 2003 05:49AM
<HTML>Dave, I have no idea without seeing the rims if they are coated or uncoated, however with the info your giving, sounds like they are uncoated, clear coated aluminum just doesnt react the way you described unless you use some kind of really concentrated acid.

You can try mothers polish or autosol makes a good metal polish that works faster and better. Keep on rubbin!! Also keep those rims clean every week with a soft brush and non wax stripping car wash solution. Good luck!</HTML>
October 01, 2003 09:47PM
<HTML>Man this is awesome! you guys nailed it rite on the money, bought some of that Mothers mag & aluminum polish, rubbed some on the wheel, buffed it for about a minute with a wool cloth, it just started gleaming like never before, i'm wondering though... Would i be able to use my 9" orbital with foam or wool pad to buff it out, or best to use elbo grease

Great work guys!</HTML>
October 04, 2003 03:19PM
<HTML>What did the instructions say from the manufacturers on what you can safely use to apply the product? sticking to the recommendeded applications removes the guess work. Every single stage paint finish, two stage paint finish, and clearcoated wheel has a specific level of shine/gloss that is attainable. you would be wasting your time trying to achieve anything more.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
October 11, 2003 09:13AM
<HTML>Go back to the store and flatten the employees tires...then spray some of that wheel cleaner on his wheels! :-)~ Just kidding. A little humor for our forum.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login