Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Surface prep for sealant

Posted by Charlie 
Surface prep for sealant
October 01, 2003 11:28PM
<HTML>I have a 2003 White Camry purchased in January 2003. Since then I have waxed it every 2-4 weeks with 100% carnauba wax. I purchased a gallon of Diamond Plus paint sealant. What surface preps should I do before applying the sealant? Should I use Dawn dishwashing detergent to strip the wax first? Is it applied like wax in circular motions?

Thanks,
Charlie</HTML>
Re: Surface prep for sealant
October 02, 2003 02:01AM
<HTML>Charlie.

You can apply the sealant very easily either by hand or by polisher. I did it by hand on one of my vehicles . and by machine on the other. Apply it the same way by hand as you would with a wax, small circular motions is just fine.

Not sure which is the best way for you to go to get the wax off, I personally wouldnt use Dawn dishwashing detergent on any vehicle of mine, someone else here might be able to point you in the direction of a better wash to remove the wax if it needs to come off.

Just a side note, you did the right thing buying a sealant, that 100% caranuba wax is just a sales ploy. Caranuba wax in its pure form has about the same texture as a brick.

Jim.</HTML>
October 02, 2003 04:50AM
<HTML>Right you are, Jim!!! I just took a buffing/scratch repair class from a guy affiliated with a local detail supply center. He worked for Maguire's for 23 years...sold their waxes, helped them develop new products and actually studied what different products would do to a car. He said that polymers are the best waxes ever developed and are superior to anything else available today. He said that all the hype about carnauba is just that, hype. Studies have shown that over time, a high carnuba wax will actually dull and yellow the finish of a vehicle.

So, what manufacturers do; at least what Maguiar's does based on his involvement and having worked at the facility where the products are made, is that they put a golf ball sized lump of carnauba in with a 5,000 gallon vat of wax so they can put on the label that it contains carnauba. When, in actuality, the main ingredient that actually does the work is the high-polymer content.

He said that synthetic polymer products will outshine and outlast any "natural" product on the market. And, byt the way the class was phenomenal!!! This guy wasn't just good, or very knowledgeable, he was a master, a Yoda of detailing!!!

Rod</HTML>
October 03, 2003 12:35AM
<HTML>Charlie, there are two other products that you might be able to use to remove the wax.

General Purpose Adhesive Remover by 3M , and a product called Acrysol by Kent Automotive, they are both safe for all types of finishes. Both are easy to use , just spray or wipe on with a cloth, and wipe off, we have been using both products in our shop for some time now with no problens. They are both capable of removing waxes and sealants.

Jim.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login